Homemade Baby Food Combinations?

JoanMcWench

Veteran
Local time
6:38 PM
My best friend just had her first baby (a girl AWWW). So, she just turned 8 months (remember when month birthdays were a thing?) & she is OBSESSED with making her own baby food purees. I actually wrote a log when I had my first child & saved it for some insane reason. I was much like her at that stage. She blew through that thing in 2 months! Now, we're on the hunt for fun, nutritional, & interesting combos. Any thoughts?

My mother used to just keep it fairly simple.

• Mashed potato with peas, carrots, some meat and a little gravy avoiding various baby can't have this... Consistency as needed, chunks or not as needed.
  • Mashed cauliflower with various veg, meat, gravy
  • Mashed ... With a little fish, suitable white sauce... Peas or beans
  • Apple puree with cooked sultanas (no other sugar added)
  • Pear puree with cooked/softened date pieces (no other sugar added)
  • Mashed banana with cooking apples (cooked)

Etc. All were made from the remnants of 'our' meals, but the relevant allergens kept out (my brother had issues with all sorts) and pureed, then small chunks added as required to introduced solids etc. My sister managed this far faster than my brother did!

The only limit was your imagination. She also looked at what was available shop bought for ideas and then made her own variations, never ever adding salt or sugar.

SatNav has pretty much given you all you need really and I agree that it is all up to how creative and out there you want to go.
Other suggestions would be to use things such as: avocado(good as a first food for babies), mangoes are also lovely addition to introduce to babies, green peas, sweet potatoes, pumpkin and eggs.

These are all very good places to start, now you can play around with them as much as you want... mix and match them and add others to the list of course! It will also depend on how the baby receives your creations but of course it is not always advisable to solely depend on your babies reactions to things. As long as you as the mom know that you have packed the plate with all the necessary healthy goodies.

Oh I used to love making my own baby food!!! It brings back happy memories. I did not do too many food combos under the 1st year because I was concerned for allergies and taste preferences. The only combos I did was the fruit or veg mixed with pablum. I admit I was probably over cautious! But after the first year I did a lot more mixing.

mashed bananas and yogurt
cooked chicken and apples puree
cooked spinach with sour cream
cooked brocoli pureed with potato
potato and lentil
carrots and butternut squash

Back
Top Bottom