Hoping my edibles survive

ChanellG

Guru
Local time
7:55 PM
This past spring and summer I was in the garden first thing every morning. Now that I have started a new business venture I barely have time to go out and make sure things are still alive. I have lots of herbs, chard, beets, nasturtium, garlic and a barely surviving zucchini plant. There was a cold snap last night with a lot of wind and I am waiting for the temperature to warm up a bit more so I can go out and see if my poor plants are still standing.

It's so great to be able to go out and get whatever herbs I need when I'm cooking; I hope the cold blast didn't kill anything. Thankfully the cold is only going to last another day or so and we're not expecting freezing temperatures.

Perhaps if weather remains steady you will be able to get your edibles surviving winter.

I think it depends much on the setting, but usually herbs survive any climate change and let's hope all of your cooking garden as well :wink:

Well, once again I am waiting to see what the weather will do and if my plants will survive. The temperature keeps going up and down every other day. One day we are walking around sleeveless and then almost overnight we are shivering in sweaters or heavy jackets. I woke up this morning to temperatures in the 30s - colder than I expected.

ChanellG, I have my fingers crossed for you. I can totally understand how you must be nervous about your plants. It must be so rewarding to have a garden with edibles. I usually like to keep at least some herbs by the window and use them to cook all the time. Even just that makes me feel so natural and easily makes my food taste better.

ChanellG, I have my fingers crossed for you. I can totally understand how you must be nervous about your plants. It must be so rewarding to have a garden with edibles. I usually like to keep at least some herbs by the window and use them to cook all the time. Even just that makes me feel so natural and easily makes my food taste better.

Thanks, pintbean! So far so good. Everything in the greenhouse is okay and the stuff I covered seems okay for the most part. The cover blew off in one corner the first night and a begonia was damaged, but most of the other plants were frost hardy and I was more or less protecting them from the wind. I'll be able to uncover everything tomorrow.

Thanks, pintbean! So far so good. Everything in the greenhouse is okay and the stuff I covered seems okay for the most part. The cover blew off in one corner the first night and a begonia was damaged, but most of the other plants were frost hardy and I was more or less protecting them from the wind. I'll be able to uncover everything tomorrow.

What's the weather like over there in Louisiana? It's really hot over here in Bim with the occasional heavy rains. How's the garden going? Mine is not doing much of anything lately. The odd sweet potato, some miniature yams (something went wrong there) and not a lot more to report. My garden guy has been missing in action. He pretty much goes and comes as he pleases so my lack of produce has a lot to do with the garden not being attended to. I hope things are working out for you. There is nothing better than being able to take things from your own garden.

What's the weather like over there in Louisiana? It's really hot over here in Bim with the occasional heavy rains. How's the garden going? Mine is not doing much of anything lately. The odd sweet potato, some miniature yams (something went wrong there) and not a lot more to report. My garden guy has been missing in action. He pretty much goes and comes as he pleases so my lack of produce has a lot to do with the garden not being attended to. I hope things are working out for you. There is nothing better than being able to take things from your own garden.

It's 9:30 in the morning and in the 40s. I'm waiting another half hour to give the weather a chance to warm up a bit. The high for the day is expected to be in the 60s (yay!). I have to go over to garden #3 and move some soil around as I am redesigning the raised beds. I also need to go over to garden #2 and see how the plants are getting on and which ones may have frost damage (someone else was supposed to protect them).

You seem very organize. I am not good with the garden. I am really petrified of most crawling things so sometimes to pick something from the garden I am a little concern. And if it's overrun by bushes or weeds I am not venturing out at all. My husband thought he could maintain the garden himself but I knew it was not going to happen with his schedule. I still applaud him for his efforts and admitted to him that I was wrong for trying to discourage him from starting the garden. Initially I thought it was bad idea and was going to end up a breeding ground for insects. While it gets out of hand sometimes, when it's maintained with some outside help, it's the best feeling in the world getting your own produce from your garden.

You seem very organize. I am not good with the garden. I am really petrified of most crawling things so sometimes to pick something from the garden I am a little concern. And if it's overrun by bushes or weeds I am not venturing out at all. My husband thought he could maintain the garden himself but I knew it was not going to happen with his schedule. I still applaud him for his efforts and admitted to him that I was wrong for trying to discourage him from starting the garden. Initially I thought it was bad idea and was going to end up a breeding ground for insects. While it gets out of hand sometimes, when it's maintained with some outside help, it's the best feeling in the world getting your own produce from your garden.

I used to be organized, lol. Some insects (including spiders) are good for the garden as they eat the bad insects. Birds and lizards also help keep the bad insects under control. You should get someone in to clear the garden of any overgrowth and start over. There are ways to keep the weeds down, and bushes just need to be pruned periodically. A garden is a lot of work in usually needs daily attention. You could always just limit the garden to herbs, but you should work on the bug fear. There really is nothing like cooking with fresh ingredients from your own garden.

You have mentioned just a few of the things that send me scampering. I am terrible and you would not think I grew up with all these things around me. We have this one guy who does an excellent job with the garden. He's the best worker in the world but has the worse attitude when it comes to commitment. I say he's like the weather, unpredictable. You are organize. Garden one,two etc. Maybe we'll get there and be consistent at maintaining the garden.

You have mentioned just a few of the things that send me scampering. I am terrible and you would not think I grew up with all these things around me. We have this one guy who does an excellent job with the garden. He's the best worker in the world but has the worse attitude when it comes to commitment. I say he's like the weather, unpredictable. You are organize. Garden one,two etc. Maybe we'll get there and be consistent at maintaining the garden.

Well, gardens #2 and 3 don't belong to me. One is at someone else's home and the other is at a restaurant. #3, the herb garden at the restaurant is getting the most attention as it is being redeveloped. I'll be on my way there shortly after checking on the plants in #1, my own garden, a making a quick run to the garden center. You should look for a new worker who can be more consistent, but you should also try and work on you fear of bugs. They won't harm you, and your garden needs the attention :) Especially if you are growing edibles.

Well my sporadic garden came by this morning. It feels like whenever he's broke he turns up but I have to tell you he works like a machine so I am not in any hurry to tell him don't come back. He's a machine and no other person can make the garden shine like he can. I am trying to work on that fear. I really am. It's not good at all. Once I wanted to get some things from the garden and the bush was a little too high. I had to wait until my husband came home. I am really bad.

Well my sporadic garden came by this morning. It feels like whenever he's broke he turns up but I have to tell you he works like a machine so I am not in any hurry to tell him don't come back. He's a machine and no other person can make the garden shine like he can. I am trying to work on that fear. I really am. It's not good at all. Once I wanted to get some things from the garden and the bush was a little too high. I had to wait until my husband came home. I am really bad.

LOL, okay, it's time to work on that fear. It seems like it's just fear of the unknown, but since you grew up around bugs and gardens maybe it has something to do with something that happened in childhood? In the meantime, I suggest putting a few favorite herbs in pots by the door closest to the kitchen so you can access them without having to enter the jungle ;-)

Back
Top Bottom