Hospital Food Healthy Eating Table

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:52 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Firms such as Subway, Burger King, Starbucks, Costa, M&S, the Royal Voluntary Service, Pret a Manger and other outlets in hospitals selling food have been rated by the Campaign for Better Hospital Food for their commitment to improving the range of healthy food they offer patients, staff and visitors.

Subway and Burger King were ranked at the bottom of the NHS England Hospital food healthy eating table. No real surprise there. They were found to be the only two not to be working towards NHS England targets for healthier foods. Subway was found to be missing three out of the four targets set.

Does any of this surprise you? Do you think they would be better off concentrating of the actual hospital food and snacks served to patients on the ward? Is it necessary to force these companies to actually think about what is available to staff, patients and visitors? Or would the money be better spent educating the public (and that includes hospital staff) as to what healthy actually is?

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/ne...bottom_of_hospital_food_healthy_eating_table/

I know the times I have stayed in hospital (and regretfully they have been many) the food served to me was not great. Most of the time, my husband would bring in food from home for all of my meals (breakfast included) because they could not provide me with a list of ingredient for the basics like bread or margarine (I have a dairy allergy) and snacks for me were non-existent. Ironically M&S do a better range of food that I can eat, than what was served to me as a patient. Sadly the hospitals I have stayed in rarely have had an M&S.

First step, get rid of the vending machines. Reintroduce smaller kitchens for the staff.

Back
Top Bottom