Hot chilly sauce home made

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:51 PM
My wife grows chillies in her greenhouses and out the back as well. Every year I make a batch of hot chilly sauce, I make when red capsicums are cheap. I used 18 in this, char grilled under the grill/ broiler. Then in a pot with about 300 chillies of all different sizes, see pic. I add the usual,suspects, vinegar sugar paprika and cayenne. Boil it until soft then stick blender then keep boiling . Then I put into kitchen whizz and blend more. Then bottle, I got 11 this batch, I'll make another if caps are still cheap.

Russ

Have you ever made a sauce using a mash by fermenting the chilis? Tabasco is made this way. Many popular brands are also made this way.

I haven't as yet but my daughter is the heat expert around here, I'm a bit of a sooky lah lah about heat. I'll get her to find something, she had two poached eggs with the chilly sauce I made on top. She said it was amazing. Super hot at time of testing before bottling, but mellowed a bit when cold. Perfect viscosity as well. Just my son to give me thumbs up, he's the biggest user. You'll be the first to know what I come up with.

Russ

up to 5 years in oak barrels

I may not have that long! I do have an excellent book on fermenting which I'm ashamed to say I've never used. I'll check it out.

Its this one. Noma is famous a Michelin star restaurant in Denmark run by Rene Redzepi. They have a separate kitchen/lab dedicated to fermentation.

1587027345093.png

Have you ever made a sauce using a mash by fermenting the chilis? Tabasco is made this way. Many popular brands are also made this way.
The Tabasco plant is 30 minutes +/- ESE of my home. I know that they sell mash to boiled seafood restaurants. IDK if they still do but they used to also sell small quantities.

Back
Top Bottom