Hot chocolate

Ella

Veteran
Local time
11:59 AM
These days there are so many to choose from, gone are the days of a milky drink with a hint of chocolate. Now you can get thick liquid chocolate, but also plain chocolate. I don't like cream on top of mine, but there are some good blends that are Fairtrade and mixed with a few chunks of chocolate are delicious.

A good hot chocolate to me is dark with a few bubbles and you should be able eat the bottom using a spoon.

I had this hot chocolate one time that used real dark chocolate in it. It was very rich and creamy, and tere was still some chocolate on the bottom which is a plus. I can't find the mix anymore though.

Hummmm....

my favourite is the classic chocolate by Hotel Chocolate. It is dairy free, chocolate rich and exceptionally nice. the only downside is it one of those you have to melt into the milk (or in my case dairy free alternative) but it is totally yummy.
503509-classic-drinking-chocolate.jpg
classic-drinking-chocolate.jpg

I do have another one lined up to try which is a liquid one by Sweet Freedom, but I have to confess to not yet having tried it, though it is in the cupboard at home!

SFCHOCCROPLR150x369.jpg

Last year I ordered coffee from Gevalia and they sent me a bag of hot chocolate for free with my order. It is pretty good. My kids are now lactose free however, so we have to make all our hot chocolate with water instead of milk. I have to admit, they like it, but it just isn't the same to me. I don't drink hot chocolate very often, but when I do, I want it super creamy and fat feeling.

In college I used to mix hot chocolate into my coffee. Now, when I want a winter treat, I find a good chocolate liqueur instead, haha.

I have a lactose intolerance, so I have it will have minimal milk and no cream though some maybe whipped into the chocolate already. Somehow that doesn't effect me!!! In Godiva I tell them no cream, so they have to add more chocolate to make up the drink!!! (Some stores sell hot chocolate to go)
Using soy or almond milk is still good and makes it creamier and thicker, but adding some chocolate chips to it will help. I like to dunk shortbread in to mine or a chocolate biscuit for decadence.

I have a lactose intolerance, so I have it will have minimal milk and no cream though some maybe whipped into the chocolate already. Somehow that doesn't effect me!!! In Godiva I tell them no cream, so they have to add more chocolate to make up the drink!!! (Some stores sell hot chocolate to go)
Using soy or almond milk is still good and makes it creamier and thicker, but adding some chocolate chips to it will help. I like to dunk shortbread in to mine or a chocolate biscuit for decadence.
If you want it really creamy, try making it with oatly instead. For some reason that makes the most wonderful hot chocolate!

I grew up with Ghiradeli cocoa and I think that is still my favorite. It seems to have just the right amount of sugar so you don't have to add any to cover the bitterness of the chocolate but it isn't too sweet like a number of mixes I have had. I like to make it with whole milk so it is creamier and the fat in the milk helps to balance the sugar in the chocolate. Haven't had it in a long time though since I am trying to stay away from sugar completely, or as much a I possibly can.

I like my own homemade peppermint hot chocolate. However, I'm also a fan of special dark chocolate yet there doesn't seem to be much of a call for hot chocolate made with that kind of chocolate in mind. Maybe I'm weird but I also prefer to make mine with water instead of milk. The warm milk taste just doesn't mesh well with the taste I'm used to since the way involving water is how my family made it for me until I was old enough to make it for myself. I suppose old habits die hard.

The best hot chocolate I've ever had was at a store that made Belgian hot chocolates. They were so decadent and used real chocolate rather than powders or syrups. I'm sure they were full of calories but it was so worth it - they were delicious!

Is it crazy that I'm now craving hot chocolate even though it's summertime?

we use a good quality caulibaut milk chocolate calletes and pour boiling milk on them and stir ,simple and a great drink ,serve with whipped cream and mini marshmallows

Back
Top Bottom