Hot sauce, without chilli

SomeStrangeMan

Über Member
Local time
12:14 PM
So, the venerable other half's allergies have gotten worse. She can no longer tolerate chilli without needing to take meds.

Obviously, I'd like some form of hot sauce that she can tolerate. Any ideas?

So, the venerable other half's allergies have gotten worse. She can no longer tolerate chilli without needing to take meds.

Obviously, I'd like some form of hot sauce that she can tolerate. Any ideas?

Instead of chilis, you may be able to do something with peppercorns. You wouldn't have the same flavor, but the heat would be there.

CD

I don't know - but maybe she could tolerate paprika?

Are you looking for a hot sauce as a condiment or are you wanting to make a curry or chilli (for example)?

I don't know - but maybe she could tolerate paprika?

Are you looking for a hot sauce as a condiment or are you wanting to make a curry or chilli (for example)?

i thought of paprika, but that is a made from a chili pepper, too.

CD

i thought of paprika, but that is a made from a chili pepper, too.

CD

I think its made from sweet red peppers which have a milder flavour - but technically they are still chillies. Some paprikas is very mild - it depends what she is intolerant to in the chilli, I suppose.

Otherwise, I think black or white peppercorns is the best bet to obtain heat, as you suggest caseydog.

There is also:

1630055853792.png

I think its made from sweet red peppers which have a milder flavour - but technically they are still chillies. Some paprikas is very mild - it depends what she is intolerant to in the chilli, I suppose.

Otherwise, I think black or white peppercorns is the best bet to obtain heat, as you suggest caseydog.

There is also:

View attachment 70112

I've heard of Szechuan peppers, but have no experience with them. The brand name "Schwartz" on a bottle of Chinese peppercorns gave me a chuckle. :laugh:

CD

I've heard of Szechuan peppers, but have no experience with them. The brand name "Schwartz" on a bottle of Chinese peppercorns gave me a chuckle. :laugh:

CD

Yeah - I don't buy the Schwartz ones but that brand is easily available in Tescos. They have heat but also a strange slightly numbing sensation in the mouth.

Yeah - I don't buy the Schwartz ones but that brand is easily available in Tescos. They have heat but also a strange slightly numbing sensation in the mouth.

That's sort of how i'd describe them as well. They don't add that much heat though so Sichuan recipes often include chilis as well to up the spiciness. I cooked this the other day that uses them: Red Braised Pig Trotter (that's not my picture). There is the very distinct Sichuan pepper flavour and then the chilli (in this case dried ones):

red-braised-pig-trotter-14.jpg

I'd be happy with anything in the range of dipping sauce, chilli sauce, curry sauce or something that could be thrown in a wok for a stir fry.

We've come across szechuan peppercorns, but we haven't done anything with them beyond using them like black pepper on roasting meat.
Paprika is still chilli enough to give her problems in anything more than tiny amounts, and even bell peppers are closely enough related to be problematic. Thankfully black pepper isn't too bad, yet.

Is it a problem with the capsaicin? If yes, you could enjoy some heat with ginger, cinnamon, clove, garlic, onions, horseradish and radish in general. The heat will be very different, capsaicin is considered healthy in the right dose, but for people with gastric problems it can be the biggest problem

You´ll get "heat" from four things: chiles, peppercorns, ginger and mustard/horseradish/wasabi. Sounds to me like your other half is allergic to capsaicin, so that means no peppers at all, not even paprika - which is a type of chile.
Peppercorns will provide heat. That includes "false" peppercorns, like Szechuan pepper and Guinea pepper - same effect, different family. Ginger is pleasant and unique.
Mustard/horseradish/wasabi provide heat that tends to go up your nose, unlike chiles and peppercorns, which burn in your mouth and throat. A totally different effect.
The Indian spice mixture garam masala means " mixture of hot spices" - for Indian cuisine, this means peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. I suppose you could try that.
The only other alternative is to do what I do ( because my wife doesn´t like onions OR anything too hot). One sauce for her, and another for me. OR grab a few green finger chiles and scatter them on your dish.

Back
Top Bottom