How about a yeast-free pizza base?

ambrosia

Veteran
Local time
3:02 AM
As my partner has adverse reactions to yeast, due to Candida-related health issues, I have been looking into creating a natural, yeast-free pizza base for him. I mixed together buckwheat and rice flour, added some olive oil, salt and water, and let the dough sit for several hours before kneading it and adding his favourite toppings. The experiment was successful and turned out to be quite delicious.
Have you ever tried to create your own pizza base?

Great recipe, thank you so much for sharing!

It sounds like it didn't lose a lot by leaving off the yeast, either. I thought that yeast was supposed to put little bubbles in it? Pizza is supposed to be flat-shaped, so I don't know if I'd miss the air in it. The recipe you put doesn't even include baking powder to put the bubbles in instead. (If there's another function of yeast as an ingredient, I don't know it.)

Also news to me that somebody can have a yeast allergy...I should definitely keep that in mind in case I cook for people!

There is also no reason as to why you could not use something like a naan bread recipe - traditional style with live yoghurt rather than the fake it recipes with yeast. Also buttermilk makes for a good alternative raising agent (assuming no dairy allergy here)...
I have used yogurt and buttermilk for this sort of thing and it really comes out tasting quite good. I haven't tried naan bread but that is something that I will go with the next time that I make my own pizza.

Great recipe, thank you so much for sharing!

It sounds like it didn't lose a lot by leaving off the yeast, either. I thought that yeast was supposed to put little bubbles in it? Pizza is supposed to be flat-shaped, so I don't know if I'd miss the air in it. The recipe you put doesn't even include baking powder to put the bubbles in instead. (If there's another function of yeast as an ingredient, I don't know it.)

Also news to me that somebody can have a yeast allergy...I should definitely keep that in mind in case I cook for people!
Ellyn, the yeast helps to make the dough rise. It makes bread or pizza bases light and airy. It also adds to the taste. Some people find yeast-free breads bland. But I think a lot of time their taste buds have been overloaded by commercially produced food. Bicarbonate of soda, preferably aluminium-free, can also be used to make a dough rise.
I like to experiment with new ways of cooking and creative food preparation.

There is also no reason as to why you could not use something like a naan bread recipe - traditional style with live yoghurt rather than the fake it recipes with yeast. Also buttermilk makes for a good alternative raising agent (assuming no dairy allergy here)...
That's a great idea. I have never tried it, but would like to experiment with it. I am allergic to dairy foods, so buttermilk wouldn't be on my list, but I wonder what it would taste like, using coconut or soy yogurt instead. I will get back to you on this one. :)

That's a great idea. I have never tried it, but would like to experiment with it. I am allergic to dairy foods, so buttermilk wouldn't be on my list, but I wonder what it would taste like, using coconut or soy yogurt instead. I will get back to you on this one. :)
I make mine with soya yoghurt - can't tell the difference - I'm also allergic to all dairy right down to inclusions in bread, margarine and the likes.... can tell straight away, first mouthful and I'm in trouble!

As my partner has adverse reactions to yeast, due to Candida-related health issues, I have been looking into creating a natural, yeast-free pizza base for him. I mixed together buckwheat and rice flour, added some olive oil, salt and water, and let the dough sit for several hours before kneading it and adding his favourite toppings. The experiment was successful and turned out to be quite delicious.
Have you ever tried to create your own pizza base?
I have tried to create my own pizza base, using spelt flour and flaxseed. I like experimenting to give my food more health benefits then the traditional methods.

Back
Top Bottom