How are you keeping your herbs fresh?

Local time
7:40 PM
I don't know if you are like me. I store my herbs in the refrigerator. It works fine if I am cooking often. Still there is so much you can use at a given time. Herbs will always be left over.

There have been many times though, when I will go to use a herb and they have gone bad on me. I read recently that you can freeze the herbs and they will be nice and "fresh" when you are ready to use them.

I am yet to find out if this works well. How do you keep your herbs fresh?

I mainly use dried herbs, except in the case of cilantro.

You just can't get the fresh aromatic aroma from the dried one as you can with the fresh one. :wink:

And since it has a short freshness life, I buy it only when I'm going to use it real soon in a dish. :eek:

When it comes to herbs I try not to buy too much at one time. I find that after opening a package, the herbs begin to spoil a few days afterwards if it is not used up quickly. Since I do not use herbs every day, and I do not use a huge amount in anything I cook, this is usually a problem for me. Most of the time, however, I would just use powdered spices to season my meals, and these are what I buy more often than herbs.

Next time I buy herbs I will keep them in the freezer and see if this is the answer to keeping them fresh.

Only last evening I ended up throwing out some thyme. It wasn't a lot as I am ALWAYS using thyme lately and I am cooking more days as well. My mom goes to market every week so she is always telling me about some new herb I might not have heard of or never used. Recently she sent me a some and by the time I got around to them, a lot had spoiled. Here are three tips I saw online.

http://www.thekitchn.com/tips-three-ways-to-preserve-fr-88889

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom