How big is your collection of cookbooks?

zandi

Veteran
Local time
12:13 PM
Mine is about non-existent and my husband cooks everything by memory. On the other hand, my sister has a huge collection. This is why, whenever I am at a thrift store, flea market, or garage sale I am on the look out for a cookbook. In her world, the older, the better, but any cookbook puts a smile on her face! Anyone else have a rather large collection of cookbooks? :chef:

P.S. have i already said how much I love these cute little icons! Well, I do! I will try not to get carried away in my posts with them! :dance:

I have a fair few cookbooks. :whistling:

Do I really have to put a number on it?
If I don't know the number, I don't have to say I honestly know how many I have which means, in a woman's twisted logic, that I don't know that I have enough and I can keep on buying them if they are cheap... :whistling: now how about that for way of terminating an argument with a husband... :headshake: OK, I'll keep working on it.

Not enough? would that work as a good answer? :giggle:

It's actually not all that big, maybe a dozen or so. I bought some Asian themed cookbooks a while back, but these days I get my cooking inspiration digitally. I find a lot of cookbooks spend time on ingredients I don't use - like meat, so I just search online for dishes with specific ingredients I'm interested in using and improvise my own recipes.

I've never counted ,but I turned a old door way into a book shelf and cook books cover over half of it and smaller books are 2 deep ,I have slowed up a lot buying books over the last few years

1. Received it as a gift maybe 10 years ago, used it a couple of times.
I mainly figure out things on my own and if I need a recipe then I use the internet to check a few different ones and try the one that I think sounds the best. (often with a bit of improvisation)

I cannot say that my collection of cookbooks is that big and what I knew I had old records of my mothers recipes and had bought some cookbooks that interest me. They are only few. But what I had most are my own recipes that I improvised and tested and made a final recipes out of it.

I collect cookbooks for the pictures more than for the receipes which I don't follow when I do cook. The receipe may call for 2 cups of sugar and I decide that 2 cups is too much in put in 1 1/2 cups of sugar. It is so hard to say how many I have because I pick them up when I am at the thrift store often.

Way too many - according to my husband! But I love cookbooks, foodie books and baking books so much, I keep buying them.

I like ones that have some good reading in them, not just endless pages of recipes. I admit to being tempted by a 'pretty' looking book too - terrible I know, but I'm a total bookworm anyway, so I guest it's to be expected. :bookworm:

Lately I'm learning to like books on Kindle, and there are some good free ones out there too, but realistically, even if you didn't have a huge collection of books, the internet probably has every recipe you'll ever want or need. :woot:

I do love this little emoticons too!!

I do not have many cookbooks. I have a few books with cake recipes. I love baking even though I don't have much time to bake. I have a few cookbooks that are vegan cookbooks because my daughter is a vegan. She pretty much had to learn how to cook without using meat. Other than that, I do not have many cookbooks.

I am an admitted cookbook addict. I have to stop myself from buying one everywhere I go. With the Internet as readily available as it is these days, I try to tell myself I don't need the actual books, yet I still can't let them go! Every few years I try to purge out the books I've never or seldom used. If there is only one or two recipes that I like from the book, I'll photocopy the recipe and scan it into my computer. I have a whole file of recipes. My husband also set up a website for me where he loads a lot of my family recipes so we can easily access them when we are shopping or if someone wants us to share a recipe with them.

I only have a handful, honestly...I would say less than 10. I find that these days, I try to be minimalist with my possessions and I only keep the cookbooks I really need and really love.
I usually find most of my other recipes online and bookmark them, or there's also quite a few recipes that I just simply know off the top of my head, so I don't need them recorded anywhere. I guess one day it would be nice to transcribe them so that I can pass them down to my kids -- either that, or I'll just teach them and they'll remember off the top of their heads, too!

I think I have most of them finally organized downstairs, fairly close to the kitchen. I haven't counted, and don't intend to, because then I might have to admit I have a problem. In addition to my cookbooks, I have handwritten recipes from family and friends, from over the years, and I'll never give up any of them, even though I rarely open the recipe box these days. I have emotional attachment to the recipes, as well as many of the cookbooks. There are a few cookbooks I've given away or sold over the years, but those are random ones I picked up on a whim and didn't really care for, and purging them just made room for others.

Back
Top Bottom