How can I create the taste of a liquid smoke?

Bakemehappy

Veteran
Local time
12:12 PM
I wonder how some restaurants manage to make their food taste like they have grilled the food for real. I know they are using liquid smoke or other techniques to save them time and effort. Do you have a safe alternative or a tip to help achieve a barbeque smoky taste?

I think they actually sell liquid smoke. I am pretty sure they do. IF you are grilling outside you can use mesquite or special grilling cubes to make your food pick up a different flavor. How you could make liquid smoke other than that I have no idea. I guess you would have to examine the ingredients in a commercial bottle and try to replicate them.

Well, I use liquid smoke sometimes. Its probably no worse than 'live' charcoal or wood smoke from the health perspective, but who knows?. I don't think there is any way you can make it yourself which would be any 'safer'. I sometimes use a splash in Chilli con Carne or on burgers. If you want to buy it then Stubb's brand is good.

Last edited:
But if you really want the low down (including how to make it) read this fascinating article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/10364416/A-Z-of-unusual-ingredients-liquid-smoke.html

From the looks of it a real wood be put to fire and the resulting smoke collected maybe through condensation. Hmm sounds like a difficult process for me. I do appreciate the link above it opened my eyes. It made me feel that the one I wanted to accomplish may not be healthy in the long run. Thanks for your help morningglory

From the looks of it a real wood be put to fire and the resulting smoke collected maybe through condensation. Hmm sounds like a difficult process for me. I do appreciate the link above it opened my eyes. It made me feel that the one I wanted to accomplish may not be healthy in the long run. Thanks for your help morningglory
Well, like you,I wondered about making it myself. But when I researched it I realised I wasn't going down that route. For me, its Stubbs liquid smoke (used in moderation)!

american-stubbs-hickory-liquid-smoke-148ml-bottle-dated-25-08-17-1351-p.jpg

I like the taste liquid smoke adds to the meat without having to cook it on the grill. I use liquid smoke on my ribs when I cook them in oven or slow cooker.

Back
Top Bottom