How did everyone's holiday go yesterday?

It’s just a day meant for giving thanks, and all the food sort of comes out of the old harvest celebrations that a lot of cultures have.

Its worth noting that there is a darker side to Thanksgiving, regarding the plight and treatment of native Americans some 400 years ago. I won't post links. Its easy to Google this if you are interested.

I’s not even a consistent term across the US. When we moved to Minnesota, it was hotdish-this and hotdish-that, and this poor ol’ Ohio boy was thinking, “What’s this hot dish you’re speaking of?” - where I’m from, a “hot dish” was just as likely to indicate a comely young miss as it was a food item. :wink:

Then I went to my first potluck: “Oh. It’s just a casserole. No girls then, huh?” 😐 :laugh:

There are a lot of Lutherans in Minnesota, and Lutherans LOVE potluck suppers. As a "recovering" Lutheran, I know potluck foods. Lots of casseroles, AKA hot dishes.

CD

Its worth noting that there is a darker side to Thanksgiving, regarding the plight and treatment of native Americans some 400 years ago. I won't post links. Its easy to Google this if you are interested.

As an American and a history buff, Europeans who "settled" America did kill a lot of native Americans, both intentionally and unintentionally (by bringing diseases to the continent that had never been here before). But, there were pockets of immigrants from Europe who established good relationships with the natives living here.

The semi-fictional origin story of Thanks giving is based around a group of settlers who established a mutually beneficial relationship with the natives already here.

But yes, the settlers basically stole America from native Americans -- many of them were British settlers. Many Americans today don't know that, or choose not to think about that.

CD

GadgetGuy mahalo, thanks so much for asking!
It was an odd day for me, I must say.
DH was not having a good day (just had an ICD implanted and it seems that it needs some adjustments or he does)
so I went to pick up my Mother from her Senior Living Community and we two (DH stayed in bed) joined my Neighborhood Gal Pals and their spouses at our local Golf Club Restaurant for a Buffet lunch.
IMG_2324.JPG

Never have I ever NOT made the Thanksgiving meal. :eek:
Gotta say though, it was tasty ... down-side - no leftovers :headshake:
I think we need a re-do once DH is up and at 'em !!! (I have have all of the ingredients to make our family's T-Day meal :wink:)

I’m Canadian and we celebrated Thanksgiving back in October.

This past Thursday, I took the afternoon off work, and went over to my parents’ place to partake in an afternoon of football-viewing. We had nice cocktails, my dad made my grandmother’s chicken stew, and husband contributed some homemade bread.

Quite different from the meals those south of the border were having, but delicious nonetheless.

The Bills won (although it wasn’t pretty), so I was a happy camper!

I’m Canadian and we celebrated Thanksgiving back in October.

This past Thursday, I took the afternoon off work, and went over to my parents’ place to partake in an afternoon of football-viewing. We had nice cocktails, my dad made my grandmother’s chicken stew, and husband contributed some homemade bread.

Quite different from the meals those south of the border were having, but delicious nonetheless.

The Bills won (although it wasn’t pretty), so I was a happy camper!

My Steelers suck this year, but my Frogs (TCU) are undefeated (12-0) and ranked #3 in the Nation.

CD

Back
Top Bottom