How do Bugs Taste?

oivas

Veteran
Local time
5:13 AM
Okay I do not mean cockroaches or anything but I have noticed in MasterChef Australia that Bug is one of the meat items. How does it taste? Can someone throw some light on that one?

I eat chicken, mutton, lamb, pork, seafood and once I had beef as well. So, a Bug is closer in taste to which one?

I've only ever eaten an ant, on a dare, at summer camp (of course).

Weirdly, it has a lemon-y flavor. Lemon-y and earthy, like grass. It was not good, but it wasn't the worst thing ever, and I thought, "If I had to do this to live, I might not die."

I've watched several of the Survivor episodes where they are made to choke down some pretty nasty stuff. I have to admit, the key is definitely mind over matter. If you can take your mind out of it, you can pretty much eat anything.

Gross. Reminds me of Fear Factor also. I haven't watched it in a long time; not even sure if it airs, but they used to eat worms, bugs, among other little creatures. They didn't like it so I'm sure we wouldn't either.

Well I have had bugs and when I was little, my grandma tricked me into eating a chocolate covered ant and cricket... even though I got tricked I remember the flavor. It was flavorless and it wasn't a fun experience. However, my boyfriend (sorry guys) has had nacho and BBQ flavored crickets from a package as a gag gift on his birthday. He had them and he told me it wasn't bad that there were fried so they had an crunch and there was some flavor to them similar to potato chips. There is some protein to them and few calories so snack away! Though he mentioned that when you buy the bag of main-stream bugs at candy stores and such, the artificial flavoring does fall off the bugs so eat them quick so you can savor the fake flavor and real bug. And you can actually purchase recipe books and then you can ask your local bug department for a couple pounds of your favorite critter and cook away...

I have eaten several types of bugs in Mexico: crickets, escamol (ant larvae), maguey worms and jumiles. While at first they do not look appetizing, they are really tasty. Crickets are fried with garlic and salt. Escamoles are pan-fried with butter and spices and the guacamole is added. Jumiles may be eaten raw. And maguey worms are sauted. Bugs are great and have lots of protein.

The Smithsonian sells bug candy to the public. One year, a friend of mine brought me this sweet treat. At first, I was apprehensive, but then ate it. The flavor of my bug (cricket) was bitter and the texture crunchy.

1528329_original.jpg
Bug Candy at the Smithsonian

Back
Top Bottom