How do I know if this is safe to consume?

Puggles

Veteran
Local time
6:12 PM
20221120_160408.jpg

I like spicy, so I put some pablano peppers in oil and sealed them in Mason jars to extract the heat from them, I then use some of that oil together with tobasco mini peppers and top it off white vinegar. The result is a delicious, spicy liquid thst can be used on anything. I haven't needed to open one of these jars in a LONG time though. I dated this jar October 17th 2021. So they've been in here for over a year. I opened it up and see absolutely nothing wrong with it and it smells delicious. Does anyone have anymore knowledge on this than me? I think it's safe but I'm not sure.

From experience stuff that has gone bad/off in oil will have lots of bubbles in the oil and over the surface of the peppers. I don't see any of that in your photo. If there is nothing sticking out of the oil, breaching the oil layer, and no sign of mould or black bacteria etc it sound be fine.

I'd happily give a small sample a try (keep it small initially). If it tastes fine, isn't acidic, isn't fizzy, and you don't get wind or other issues it is fine... (hence why you just try a small bit first)

However, that's me. If you're not happy with it, don't risk it. But to me, as I said, that looks fine.

I dated this jar October 17th 2021
I had a conserves company for about 10 years. We made chutneys, pickles, jams, marmalades, conserves, hot sauces, you name it, we bottled it.
That jar looks just fine to me; no fermentation, no white mist inside. Remove a slice of the poblano peppers and taste it. Don´t worry, you won´t kill yourself :D :D :D :D
Poblano peppers are very mild: maybe the tabasco peppers added a bite.

Back
Top Bottom