How do you decide what bread goes for which Sandwich?

tangela

Veteran
Local time
8:05 PM
At my house we usually just have one or two loaves of bread (one for myself and one for my boyfriend since he doesn't like the grainy stuff that I do). We typically just make sandwiches out of what we have, but I know some families that have multiple types of bread because they use each bread for different sandwiches.

Do you/your family do that? If so, how do you decide what bread should be the base of a specific sandwich? Is it the meat and veggie pairing, or what?

Taste and texture, really.

Some breads are too soft, too sweet, too crusty, too robust, too bleached, too thin (like tortillas, although I'm weird and like to use those wraps for everything), too salty, still have the flavor of the oil that they were made with and some people are sensitive to that, or they toast faster than the filling can melt, or the bread's too crumbly, or it's too gummy, or too yeasty, or too oatsy, or too wheaty...

...for preference.

The bakery in one of our local grocery stores sells two varieties of it's Italian bread, one is the regular loaf which is much more airy and lighter inside, but still has a crispy crust. It's only 99 cents per loaf. Then they also sell a "Sicilian" style Italian bread which is heavier and more dense, but also more expensive at $1.99 a loaf. I'm assuming in the cheaper of the two, they are relying on the yeast more, and are using less flour and other ingredients overall to make it. I love it for toast on the side when I am making breakfast, or as bread on the side when I am making dinner such as pasta and meatballs, because it's not too heavy and doughy so it doesn't weigh you down. It's also fine toasted for lightweight sandwiches, like a scrambled egg and pepper sandwich. It's crunchy and airy. The Sicilian bread however holds up way better to stuff like grilled pannini sandwiches, since it doesn't go flat so easily. Also, there aren't any huge air pockets in it for dressings and melted cheese to seep through. It's also generally better for packing lunches too, since the bread won't turn into a soggy mess so easily.

In general, the breads I typically avoid at all costs are the standard "sandwich bread", the over processed spongy stuff many of us grew up on as kids. It's so bland and cannot hold up to any sandwiches, that I don't bother with it.

There rally is no law on this, and the food police will not come to your door.

I've used just about ALL different kinds of bread for most types of sammies. :hungry: :eek:

Taste and texture, really.

Some breads are too soft, too sweet, too crusty, too robust, too bleached, too thin (like tortillas, although I'm weird and like to use those wraps for everything), too salty, still have the flavor of the oil that they were made with and some people are sensitive to that, or they toast faster than the filling can melt, or the bread's too crumbly, or it's too gummy, or too yeasty, or too oatsy, or too wheaty...

...for preference.
Tortillas are perfect for wraps though! But I guess it also depends on the content of the wrap (some, I think, are just better off being in a sandwich sandwich instead of a wrap).

The bakery in one of our local grocery stores sells two varieties of it's Italian bread, one is the regular loaf which is much more airy and lighter inside, but still has a crispy crust. It's only 99 cents per loaf. Then they also sell a "Sicilian" style Italian bread which is heavier and more dense, but also more expensive at $1.99 a loaf. I'm assuming in the cheaper of the two, they are relying on the yeast more, and are using less flour and other ingredients overall to make it. I love it for toast on the side when I am making breakfast, or as bread on the side when I am making dinner such as pasta and meatballs, because it's not too heavy and doughy so it doesn't weigh you down. It's also fine toasted for lightweight sandwiches, like a scrambled egg and pepper sandwich. It's crunchy and airy. The Sicilian bread however holds up way better to stuff like grilled pannini sandwiches, since it doesn't go flat so easily. Also, there aren't any huge air pockets in it for dressings and melted cheese to seep through. It's also generally better for packing lunches too, since the bread won't turn into a soggy mess so easily.

In general, the breads I typically avoid at all costs are the standard "sandwich bread", the over processed spongy stuff many of us grew up on as kids. It's so bland and cannot hold up to any sandwiches, that I don't bother with it.
The bread that my boyfriend grew up with was Wonderbread but now I can't stand those :/ I myself like oat-y or 9-grain bread because I was brought up on that but the occasional sourdough is good too!

And the Italian bread you mentioned sounds awesome; I love fluffy bread or fluffy dough related stuff :)

Wheat bread for me always goes with bacon, lettuce and tomatoes along with mayonnaise. When it's a doughy white bread, I prefer to fill it with tuna and a bit of chilli. They blend well together. For ordinary pullman sliced bread, I apply any of the following: pure peanut butter, Nutella, fruit jam, salted non-fat butter or cheesy spreads.

We usually only stock white and wheat bred too and just make sandwiches it of those but whenever we catch some local bakery sales and get new types of bread we just use them and learn by experimentation. Sometimes I'd try to recall some previous sandwiches from restaurants I've had and I'll use the knowledge to find the similar ones among my options and just build something off of that.

I don't care much for plain old enriched white bread, but my family likes it. They eat most sandwiches on that. I prefer rye or wheat. I do think it boils down to preference, so you may want to experiment a bit. I do like a nice crusty French bread for hot sandwiches.

I like looking at the bread and deciding which ones to buy. I usually like a seeded wholegrain as that can be used for sandwiches and with soup, so is versatile.

Sometimes the bakeries have freshly baked loaves. Currently I have a garlic baked loaf which I am making mini pizzas from and also is good with thick soups, but is harder to use for sandwiches, because the flavor conflicts with the fillings. White bread can still be good for sandwiches as long as it is fresh, as some loaves have added sugar which ruins the taste.

Back
Top Bottom