How do you do mac and cheese?

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
5:02 PM
Last night I was being lazy and I made boxed macaroni and cheese. I did not make the cheap Kraft kind with the mini noodles though, but made the Annie's organic variety. I learned that if you add sour cream to the sauce and omit some of the milk, the cheese really does take on the aged cheddar flavor. I also sauteed some onions and beef sausages and add those to the dish. Normally I like to make my mac and cheese from scratch and use the fancy cheeses like gruyere. How do you do your mac and cheese?

from scratch when I used to be able to eat it.

pasta - cook it 2rds of the way through
make a standard cheese sauce (milk, cornflour, touch of butter, coleman's mustard powder, cheese with some left over)
mix the above two in a cooking vessel
put in to an oven with the remaining cheese over the top.
wait until hot and brown.

Cook the pasta. While its cooking, grate cheese according to how much you like or not. Drain pasta. Add cheese. Melt over a low heat. Add a touch of milk. When cheese is melted, eat.

I pretty much prefer making it from scratch as well. I have to admit though that I have never liked mac and cheese at all, I always cook it for the rest of the family! I do it precisely like the others have said but with my sauce I usually put some butter in the pan, add some flour and stir until blended in then remove that from the stove. I then grate some cheese, put the pan back on the stove over medium heat, let it boil a bit then throw the cheese in...stirring all the time for all the ingredients to blend in and for a smooth texture. I don't use any milk with it although I have heard that it helps with the consistency.

Cheese sauce is the one thing that never comes out right for me. What am I doing wrong? The cheese always sticks together and clumps, it never evenly incorporates into a smooth sauce. Has anyone ever had that happen?

I have had that happen a lot of times. It does get a tad frustrating but what I would suggest is that you maybe add a bit more milk or liquid of sorts to lighten it up and perhaps also smooth it out! Basically SavNav's way of preparing the cheese sauce would work more for you as she has mentioned adding milk and butter. The butter will definitely help thin out the cheese and I am certain that you will avoid it sticking together and prevent the clumps. Stirring as you add these would be of good use too.
Hopefully that will be of some sort of help.

I really like to make mac and cheese that you put in the oven to brown and also like to add bread crumbs or French fried onions to the top for a little crunch. I use a recipe that I found online a couple of years ago. The strange part is that the recipe called for diced tomatoes and when I tried it, the tomatoes made it taste horrible. Now I just omit the tomatoes.

Oh wow Berties, those little mac and cheese dishes look beautiful, but I am not into mushrooms at all. Leave it to the rich and famous to make mac and cheese much more than it was ever meant to be. I would love to be able to afford to eat that way!

I do it from scratch. Very seldom do I used the boxed kit. It just isn't the same!

I like to melt the cheese in a little bit of milk, add some butter to it, along with a little garlic & onion powder & black pepper. I use Velveeta and some shredded cheddar cheese to get the cheddar flavor and taste. I DO NOT use any salt because the Velveeta has enough salt in it to flavor the casserole. No eggs! I've stopped using eggs in it.

I then pour the sauce over halfway boiled macaroni, stir to blend and pop it in the oven for about 35 minutes, or until bubbly. Tastes great!
I've often been told that I make some of the best mac & cheese in town!! No joke! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom