How do you know if it’s dry?

Wandering Bob

Über Member
Local time
7:42 PM
It might be a problem of advancing years – or perhaps it’s just me – but I find that I’m increasingly incapable of determining whether the laundry is dry. I find I can’t tell the difference between ‘cold but dry’, and ‘cold and still damp’. It might be to do with reduced tactility in my fingers – too much cycling? – or maybe it’s just impaired judgement.

Being on my mine means that getting a second opinion – “Do you think this towel is dry?” – is often hard to come by.

What typically happens is that I simply can’t decide - so I leave the towel to dry for another 8/10 days. But there must be more effective ways of deciding if something is dry.

I was wondering about taking the towel and setting fire to a corner of it – if it burned well, then it was obviously dry and could then be folded and put away. If it just smouldered then went out, it was obviously still wet and would need much longer to become properly dry.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

I'd have my fingers checked out by a doctor. You wouldn't want to accidentally burn your fingers or your hands. oh my gosh.

I hang most things to dry now, rather than using a dryer. I find that clothing etc last longer. Towels usually dry (hanging up) in about 24 hours, depending on the weather.

What typically happens is that I simply can’t decide - so I leave the towel to dry for another 8/10 days. But there must be more effective ways of deciding if something is dry.

I was wondering about taking the towel and setting fire to a corner of it – if it burned well, then it was obviously dry and could then be folded and put away. If it just smouldered then went out, it was obviously still wet and would need much longer to become properly dry.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Facetious? If not, I'd suggest seeing a physician for nerve damage of some sort and perhaps a psychologist or psychiatrist for the suggestion of setting a towel on fire to see if it's dry. :whistling:

Well, all of it was a joke (or mostly) - just my way of brightening up my Saturday afternoon - and perhaps yours

I'm happy to leave towels drying for months - it really doesn't worry me at all

Put it on something a moist towel will ruin and then you'll have your answer...
...no don't really do this...

@medtran49 and @Karen W … thank you for your concern. The post was just a light-hearted piece of sunny Saturday silliness.

But I genuinely can't tell if the laundry is dry. I don't think there's anything wrong with the nerves in my fingers - I think it's to do with the inability of my brain to interpret the neural messages. I will mention it to my doctor next time I see him.

My doctor originates from Dayton, OH and he was a medical student in Chicago in the 1960s. He hung around a lot with the Butterfield Blues Band and he delights in telling me stories of those days. I can just imagine his reaction if I tell him that I can no longer tell if the laundry is dry or not….."Get outta here!" ..and then he'll revert to telling me how he sold a secondhand Chevvy to Paul Butterfield's bass player, who then drove it all the way to California and then promptly drove it off a cliff....

Never a dull moment at my doctor's - but precious little opportunity to discuss health matters (I usually have to remind him to check my blood pressure)

I think this should work perfectly well.
Otherwise, maybe try ironing your towels. Although irony doesn't always illicit the desired result around here.

Back
Top Bottom