How do you make brown rice taste good?

True2marie

Veteran
Local time
10:14 PM
The benefits of brown rice have been touted by nutritionists for years. I eat this starch, but struggle in making it taste good. The only method I found that works is cooking brown rice in a broth. Yet, I am always looking for ideas.

How do you make brown rice taste good?

th?id=H.4529834550299182&pid=15.jpg

I use bouillon cubes. It can't possibly be any easier or faster and the results are quite good, you also have quite a few different tastes to choose from.

Maybe you could do fried rice with some vegetables etc?

I'm curious - what makes it taste less good than white rice? I ask because I much prefer brown rice to white rice and cook it in plain water with nothing added. I love the nutty taste of it - perhaps it is the 'brand' or 'type' of brown rice you are using that is the issue?

I'm curious - what makes it taste less good than white rice? I ask because I much prefer brown rice to white rice and cook it in plain water with nothing added. I love the nutty taste of it - perhaps it is the 'brand' or 'type' of brown rice you are using that is the issue?

I honestly think that it's just about personal preference. Some people like things that others don't.
Personally I always go for white rice and usually throw a bouillon cube in there as well since I'm not particularly fond of the taste. But there are just certain foods that pretty much require rice in them.

I prefer brown rice too. My husband didn't like it, but I weaned him onto it by starting off with white rice with 25% brown rice added, and gradually increased the proportion of brown. Now we just have brown rice. Occasionally I'll ring the changes by cooking it in a mixture of water and tomato juice. That gives it a slightly different flavour.

I prefer brown rice too. My husband didn't like it, but I weaned him onto it by starting off with white rice with 25% brown rice added, and gradually increased the proportion of brown. Now we just have brown rice. Occasionally I'll ring the changes by cooking it in a mixture of water and tomato juice. That gives it a slightly different flavour.

Hahah that is sneaky! I bet one day he just went "darling.. since when has our rice been brown?"

I can't even get it to cook most of the time. I try adding more liquid, and more time, but it almost always comes out inedible - even the instant brown rice.

In general, with rice, one of my favorite ways to prepare it is with half chicken broth, and half spicy tomato sauce - like the kind you get in the Mexican section of your grocer. El Pato is my favorite brand, but Goya makes it too. The other way I generally cook rice is a copycat of Chipotle - just some fresh lime juice, fresh cilantro and some sea salt.

Another addition to cooking it with chicken broth would be to add some butter and a generous amount of parmesan to make a cheesy rice.

Have you tried making some fried rice with it? Soy sauce and garlic oil at a minimum, but you could jazz it up even more with some sesame oil and fish sauce - then crack and egg into it to coat the grains.

Years ago, our family always used white rice until we found out that brown rice was the more nutritional of the two. So, for years now we have been using the brown rice. To me, it is tastier than white rice. I do not usually have to do anything with brown rice to make it taste better. I would say that the white rice usually needs a little more seasoning than the brown one. After using brown rice for many years now, I would find it difficult to go back to the white variety. The white rice cooks quicker though, and that is a plus. The brown one usually takes about 45 minutes to cook as compared to 20 or 25 minutes for the white one. However, give me brown rice any day. Apart from the great taste, it is better health-wise. I usually have to use less salt when cooking brown rice also.

The taste isn't a "problem" to me as much as the texture. I was spoiled by white rice, which might feel starchy enough to fill you up, but compared to brown rice you don't have to work too hard to chew it properly. White rice also absorbs flavors really easily. Brown rice tastes slightly nutty, and tends to be more dry.

I just appreciate how different they are in a meal, I suppose. Last night I had brown rice with stewed fish (in coconut sauce, with ginger and chili peppers, which I thought might have been overdoing it but it turned out all right--and moringa leaves). White rice would have just mushed into the mushy stew, which was what I would have been used to and maybe why I don't usually like coconut sauce--I never thought to blame the rice! The brown rice made it perfect.

For something like a crispy barbecue, though, I'd prefer softer white rice.

Flavor it, season it, experiment with it and let your inner chef go crazy. What are your favorite seasonings? I make fried rice with it and I love it!

I bake 1 cup of brown rice in the oven with 2 cups of water and 1 chicken and herb bouillon cube. It makes it super flavorful, but occasionally I need even more flavor. So when it is done, I will put some garlic powder, some pepper (regular black unless I feel daring then red flakes), a tablespoon or two of olive oil, and lemon juice, Italian seasonings. It is soooo yummy I love it. Plus you can add mixed veggies with it too and it makes it yummy.

I am a big fan of white rice so making the switch over to brown was difficult for me. I don't care for the texture or flavor as much but am willing to live with it since it is so much better for me. I use broth, sometimes I also make an herb sauce (low in calories and salt) to pour over the rice and other times I just season the hell out of it with whatever I have handy and see if we like it. When I really want to indulge I pour some low sodium soy sauce in with my brown rice.

Back
Top Bottom