How do you make caramel? (Sugar and butter only)

Alunny

Veteran
Local time
10:52 PM
Website
www.jades-world.com
So I have officially tried to make caramel 3 times now and each time is worse than the next.

The first time it was fine but I melted a plastic spoon in it. No one told me it was going to be that hot! The second time it didn't taste nice at all. It tasted like toffee. The third time it tasted like toffee but extremely strong and I literally was almost sick. It was AWFUL. I wanted to claw my own mouth out.

I wanted to make it with ONLY sugar and butter. I was following this recipe and mine was the exact same colour as his but it tasted absolutely foul! I don't know if I am using the wrong sugar or what, but I really would appreciate some help! :)

So for the recipe that you linked, did you over-stir it or something? I almost think with caramel you have to be really careful in terms of the temperature and how much you stir it and stuff. I've never tried making caramel but from what I have seen an heard having a candy thermometer is good (especially if you are a beginner caramel maker).

Definitely not sure. The first batch melted the spoon into it. I didn't know to use metal....and the second batch...well it was so foul we're too afraid to attempt it again.

I think I may possibly, at worst, had it too hot, but I don't think I over stirred it :).

Back
Top Bottom