How do you make your beef stroganoff?

thunder

Veteran
Local time
1:57 AM
I sometimes make beef stroganoff to my mother's recipe as it's one of my favorite dishes of all time. It's quite time-consuming but tastes divine, even more so the following day. I generally don't work to written recipes so I just approximate everything but this is what I use for my version, which I've been given to understand is the "correct" one.

In one pan I fry chopped onions and garlic in butter - quite slowly on low heat as I want them to be soft and translucent rather than brown. I take cubes of a good cut of tender beef, cut them into slices, then fry in butter in a different pan. Then I braise the beef slowly in white wine, plus some salt and pepper to season. In a third pan I fry a large amount of sliced mushrooms in butter - you need more than you think as the mushrooms reduce a lot in size. You can also add the mushrooms to the onion/garlic pan or the beef pan - sometimes I'll just throw half into each pan. You can see I like to improvise! At this point I might be drinking a glass of the cooking wine as well.

Once all 2 or 3 pans are done I combine them in a deeper pan, add dijon mustard and let the mixture bubble for a few minutes. Then I add cream, sour cream and/or greek yoghurt, depending on what I have available (the original recipe calls for sour cream only) to make a good amount of sauce, bring to the boil, reduce and let it all simmer for a while. I keep tasting the mixture until it seems right, maybe adding more salt and pepper, or more mustard. It all depends on what you like, really. The sauce should be thick, creamy, mustardy and aromatic.

I usually serve my stroganoff with ribbon pasta, but if you prefer a different pasta, or even rice or boiled potatoes, that works too! I usually make a large quantity and freeze some, or keep some in the fridge for the next day when all the flavors have melded together really well.

So, my question is: how do you make stroganoff? I've heard many people say they use tomato puree instead of mustard, and no wine, which to me would make it a completely different dish.

I usually don't spend much time on it, because the sour cream added to it at the end doesn't seem to hold up well in leftovers. It's generally one of those dishes that I will make only what I plan on eating. I will either use ground beef or if I am using a cheap cut of meat I will cut it super thin. Then I will saute meat along with some shallots and mushrooms until I get a good fond in the pan, de-glaze it with some beef broth. Then I will prepare a slurry of some extra beef broth and corn starch and add that to the pan and simmer everything until the sauce thickens into a gravy. In the meantime I've prepared some egg noodles. At the very end I add the noodles and sour cream to the pan (and some fresh parsley if I got it) and toss everything and warm it all through. I know this isn't necessarily traditional either, but I love a generous handful of Parmesan over it all before I eat it.

Back
Top Bottom