How do you store your eggs?

We leave ours in the box in the cupboard, never in the fridge because apparently with the shells being porous they absorb smells etc... from other things in the fridge.

Eggs are supposed to be better kept in the fridge because of the colder environment in there. :wink:

Eggs are supposed to be better kept in the fridge because of the colder environment in there. :wink:

Well I would have thought so but there has been a debate and some chefs say no to the fridge so I suppose it is down to the individuals choice.

I've worked for two catering cos., , plus a large number of restaurants throughout my 41-year work history, and every place where I worked, the eggs wore kept in the fridge or the cooler.

Even at home, I keep them in the fridge. I always have, and it will never change. :wink:

Even at home, I keep them in the fridge. I always have, and it will never change. :wink:
It depends on which country you live in. USA and Canada are fridge and people would not consider otherwise.
The UK and Ireland, plus most of Scandinavia (to our best memory) eggs are on open shelves in the supermarkets and not refrigerated at all.
Now in Australia, I find eggs in the fridge, but then I guess that could have something to do with rumoured summer time temperatures that I am yet to experience! Mind you, Australia fridges are something else with deodorisers built in amongst many many other little things like lights in the freezer compartment!

We keep eggs (generally duck eggs) in the fridge door. However, I usually take them out about 30 - 60 minutes prior to cooking to allow them to reach a slightly higher temperature. (I don't know why).

I don't know about all of the US, but I can tell you that in Texas eggs are sold from "refrigerators.
I quoted because some are behind glass doors and others just have them on open refrigerated shelves.
Now you do have to consider that 100°F or 37.778C is very common in the summers. Mostly daytime highs but this past July 109 (42.778) was routinely the high and 95 (35) was the low.

In the winter it is not uncommon for the northern part of the state to be snowed in while the southern part is enjoying the beach.
Yesterday my high was 64. My mom was in the middle 80's.

Back
Top Bottom