How do you use dishwashing liquid?

Local time
4:27 PM
For me, I think dishwashing liquid is multipurpose. Although I use it mostly for washing dishes, i would also wash my hands with it when I am in the kitchen cooking. If I want to wipe off a counter top, dishwashing liquid comes in handy then too. As long as it is used with a scrub bud, the results can be great.

When the container with the dishwashing liquid is about halfway, it can be diluted with water which helps to stretch it and makes it last longer. Some dishwashing liquids are very highly concentrated and only a small amount is needed for washing a whole pile of dishes.

Usually a couple of drops on a dish if not using the dishpan which would be necessary if there were a lot of dishes, pots & pans to wash. :wink:

I use it too much. I call what I do wastage and I am not proud of it. I am working on improving in that area. Some time back a customer told me his vet said it would help with fleas and ticks on the dogs so I used it on the dogs about twice.

In the kitchen, I use it with a sponge and clean nearly everything.

I add a small squirt to a bowl of hot water and swish it around a little to get a good lather going. Then I'll dunk each item in individually and change the water over if needed. I'm usually quite conscious of wasting both detergent and water.

I do use hot soapy water to clean a lot of things though, not just the dishes. It's cheap, quick and easier on the hands.

Only use it's a mild degreaser for cleaning tops down and a pre wash for hand washing , still use a sanitizer on tops afterwards and try to dip plated and cutlery in hot watt and avoid drying

I have (in a former frugal life) washed my hair with it! In the UK we have a famous brand called Fairy Liquid. The (sung) advertising slogan was 'Now hands that do dishes can feel soft as your face, with mild green Fairy Liquid'. So i thought, if that's the case, it will do for my hair. Actually, it wasn't too bad.. :laugh:
Here's a bit of Fairy Liquid nostalgia for the Brits:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-taEaSfPtbY

I know I consume too much our dishwashing liquid at home. I used it not only for washing the dishes but for some cleaning purposes in the kitchen like for cleaning the refrigerator, sink and stove. It is just okay as long I am comfortable using this as my multi purpose cleaner in the kitchen.

I know I consume too much our dishwashing liquid at home. I used it not only for washing the dishes but for some cleaning purposes in the kitchen like for cleaning the refrigerator, sink and stove. It is just okay as long I am comfortable using this as my multi purpose cleaner in the kitchen.
I do so hope you mean use and not consume! Consume=eat :sick:. :giggle:

Our dishwashing liquid here is very potent so we mix 3 drops for every glass of water. That dosage can accomplish the dishes used by 4 people and with excess too. We also use that dishwashing mixture to clean the oven and the stove including the countertops. Now that summer is almost ended, the ants are coming (I saw a line of ants yesterday in the kitchen), that mixture is very good to drive away foraging insects.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

Consume....(Wikipedia, Encyclopedia) means:

1. To eat, to drink

2. To use up, to expend

3. To waste away...........

Etc..........

The word "consume" does not mean "to eat" ONLY... :bookworm:

And I do KNOW what it MEANS....

Last edited:
Well it seems that most people here use dishwashing liquid for more than just washing the dishes. So, it does have a multi purpose. Then again, using it for cleaning off the counters, the oven and the stove, is safer than using certain other cleaners which have harmful chemicals in them, although we may tend to think that these have a greater cleaning power. However, If enough dishwashing liquid is used with a scrub bud, the cleaning power is just as good, in my opinion.

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

Consume....(Wikipedia, Encyclopedia) means:

1. To eat, to drink

2. To use up, to expend

3. To waste away...........

Etc..........

The word "consume" does not mean "to eat" ONLY... :bookworm:

And I do KNOW what it MEANS....
There's no need to shout. there was a laughing smilie for a reason, never mind. I'll leave the sense of humour behind next time.

I love the stuff! I use it to wash my car and even to mop my floors. If I can't find any soap, I have even used it to wash my hands. I even used it to clean my bathtub. I use a little dish water to clean countertops, my desk, & anything else I can think of using it for.

Back
Top Bottom