How Far Do You Travel For Groceries?

I don't travel for most groceries, we get them delivered to our door. I can't lift them due to my disability, and husband needs to work fulltime so can't always arrange to stand in for shopping. So usually we've got a weekly shop coming to our door. Sometimes, like this week I skip that because we've got a empty & clean our freezer week so we'll eat whatever is stored in the house and only buy a few things fresh like milk.

We do travel around 10 miles to go to the restaurant supply store, once every 3 months to get some staples for our freezer with big bulk sacks of veggies, meat and things like fries or bread rolls.
For fresh milk and such, the grocery store is only 2 streets or a 5 minute walk away.

Yesterday, I did my grocery shopping at Marc’s, which is (according to Apple Maps (side thought - how did they miss naming that Mapples? It’s so obvious!)) 17 miles/33 minutes away.

I really like Marc’s - it’s a Cleveland-based chain that’s only in Ohio (as far as I know), so they carry a lot of items that are popular in the Cleveland area that I normally can’t get here.

On top of that, they also have several aisles of discounted/overstocked non-food items. Yesterday, I bought a second 9-ft patio umbrella for $35. Similar ones at the home decorating stores are $60, and at Lowe’s they’re about $90. The way we go through umbrellas (thanks, unforecasted wind gusts), I like spending as little as possible.

I also got a hanging basket of some kind of flower for…$5.

The majority of my shopping is done, when I'm at home in Mansfield, at my local Morrisons which is about 2 miles away from our house. However, I like to travel over to Maxey's farm shop which is about 10 miles away between Mansfield and Newark on Trent to buy meat and delicatessen items. They have some amazing pork and Stilton pies and pork with red current pies. I try and call in whenever I'm travelling to and from the A1 and A17 roads for work. I've just stocked up last Friday with pies plus a dozen lamb & mint burgers and a dozen beef burgers plus numerous steaks and lamb chops.

Yesterday, I did my grocery shopping at Marc’s, which is (according to Apple Maps (side thought - how did they miss naming that Mapples? It’s so obvious!)) 17 miles/33 minutes away.

I really like Marc’s - it’s a Cleveland-based chain that’s only in Ohio (as far as I know), so they carry a lot of items that are popular in the Cleveland area that I normally can’t get here.

On top of that, they also have several aisles of discounted/overstocked non-food items. Yesterday, I bought a second 9-ft patio umbrella for $35. Similar ones at the home decorating stores are $60, and at Lowe’s they’re about $90. The way we go through umbrellas (thanks, unforecasted wind gusts), I like spending as little as possible.

I also got a hanging basket of some kind of flower for…$5.
Yes, I shop at Marc's pretty often. There are probably 7-8 locations within 20 miles of me, one of which is 4 miles from my house. But it's not my favorite location, I like the one in North Canton (18 miles away) but I only stop in there when I am in the area for another reason. Their store is bigger and has more variety than ours. This week Marc's has Eggland's Best extra large eggs for $2 a dozen, BTW, TastyReuben.

This week Marc's has Eggland's Best extra large eggs for $2 a dozen, BTW, @TastyReuben.
That’s one thing I like. Up to about six months ago, they didn’t sell “certified humane” eggs, but now they are, and they’re a buck cheaper than Kroger.

That’s one thing I like. Up to about six months ago, they didn’t sell “certified humane” eggs, but now they are, and they’re a buck cheaper than Kroger.
Yes I get Marc's cage free eggs usually. I am pretty sure that Eggland's Best isn't humanely certified, but they are quite good and I imagine that the conditions aren't too deplorable compared to some.

Yes I get Marc's cage free eggs usually. I am pretty sure that Eggland's Best isn't humanely certified, but they are quite good and I imagine that the conditions aren't too deplorable compared to some.
Eggland’s aren’t certified humane. Around here, Vital Farms, Pete & Gerry, and Best are.

Eggland’s aren’t certified humane. Around here, Vital Farms, Pete & Gerry, and Best are.
Yeah, I do buy Vital Farms often, and I actually own some of their stock. If you are into stock trading, it's a good buy right now. The stock price plunged due to the bird flu that was plaguing chickens in the US, but it's such a great company that as soon as the chicken farms are able to start producing more eggs again the price of the stock should go up considerably.

I had to smile to myself last Friday when I was in the supermarket. Most of the 'people' in the store were pickers getting home deliveries and drop off in the boot orders.

I was in the veg department and a female picker was where I wanted to be. Protocol is that you just wait until they have finished and moved away. I watched her carefully pick up 4 or 5 different red peppers, turn them over, inspect them and reject them before finally finding one that "fitted the bill". She promptly threw it into the crate. That final act is exactly why I don't do home delivery or pick up from store. I'd prefer my veg and fruit to be placed carefully into the bag, not tossed or hurled in. We also pack our own bags at the checkout (no scan and go here yet). That way soft or easily damaged veg & fruit goes on top and not the bottom. Plus the checkout staff are far more friendly and helpful when you pack the bags (in Australia, unlike the UK ) the checkout staff pack the bag as they scan.

Apparently chooks arent laying atm as I have a wait on my free range eggs. My eggman says up to 2 months for jumbo sizes. I said ordinary are ok. I will miss my double yolkers.

Russ

But i am not burning gasoline
That's the approach I take with the local fresh produce store. It's only 9-10km from my home, and the closest we have for anything. I don't mind anything up to $20 more for getting my fresh veg & fruit there because it's $20 of fuel saved and 1½-2 hrs driving saved. (My closest supermarket is 64km each way. )

Back
Top Bottom