Kroger Marketplace (superstore) - 4.6 miles
ALDI 1 - 2.4 miles
ALDI 2 - 3.3 miles
Tom Thumb (Albertsons) - 2.9 miles
Walmart - 2.1 miles
Ranch Market 99 (Asian market) - 2.7 miles
COSTCO - 6.6 miles

CD

Yeah, there is an Asian market within 10 miles of me as well, but I don't shop there all that often anymore because they quit getting the Panax ginseng that my husband likes. But they have the best sesame seed oil there and New Zealand green mussels. I have yet to visit any of the little Mexican grocers around here, perhaps I should give that a whirl sometime.

Around here, I can get pretty much any Mexican items I need at Kroger or Walmart, especially Walmart, which has a large Mexican customer base. The nearest Fiesta (the best Mexican Supermercado) is an hour away through heavy traffic areas.

CD

Around here, I can get pretty much any Mexican items I need at Kroger or Walmart, especially Walmart, which has a large Mexican customer base. The nearest Fiesta (the best Mexican Supermercado) is an hour away through heavy traffic areas.

CD
Obviously the demographics here are different. Our Walmart doesn't have much Hispanic food and Kroger is 45 minutes to an hour away. Not sure Kroger would carry much, anyway (up here). But, within 15-20 miles, there are a few small Latin grocers I'd like to visit.

Last edited:
We have four "supermarkets" that we usually shop at depending on the provisions required.

Big 'C' - 2 km
Lotus's (Previously Tesco Lotus) - 1¾ km
Makro - 1¾ km
Tops - 3 km

Once per week my wife shops at the afternoon market in town - 4 km
Twice per week she shops at the evening market on the ring road - 1 km

[Edit: I have yet to find anyone who can pronounce "Lotus's"]

Last edited:
Publix is probably 2 miles away. I forget about Aldi all the time. It’s closer but in the other direction. Fresh Market is around 17 miles so we only go there if we are in the area for something else. Walmart is the closest. HATE Walmart. Won’t go.

Currently (London, UK) I´ve got Sainsbury´s next door; Tescos, three houses down; Waitrose, 3 minutes away, Lidl, 3 minutes away.
If I want something special (like I was looking for baby aubergines the other day), there´s a Middle Eastern /Turkish/Indian/Pakistani grocery about 15 minutes walk away. Anything really wierd and wonderful, I´d probably just work out where it was and hop on a train/bus.
In Caracas, the local grocery store is a 20 minute walk or a 3 minute drive. Basics, that´s all, and very little choice. If I need a greater choice, it´s a 10 minute drive to a huge supermarket.
I´ve never bought food online, but that´s probably because quality is a really big issue in Caracas.

Publix is probably 2 miles away. I forget about Aldi all the time. It’s closer but in the other direction. Fresh Market is around 17 miles so we only go there if we are in the area for something else. Walmart is the closest. HATE Walmart. Won’t go.

The Walmart in Frisco, Texas is perhaps an anomaly. It is nice, although it still has some "unique" shoppers. The meat department is very good. They even carry USDA Prime beef. American lamb (although expensive). Good pork and chicken, too. Good bakery.

On the down side, the Deli sucks. Just not good quality products.

It's a superstore, so they have a lot of other stuff I need. They also sell clothing, but I wouldn't be caught dead in any of it.

CD

Yeah, there is an Asian market within 10 miles of me as well, but I don't shop there all that often anymore because they quit getting the Panax ginseng that my husband likes. But they have the best sesame seed oil there and New Zealand green mussels. I have yet to visit any of the little Mexican grocers around here, perhaps I should give that a whirl sometime.
Our mussels are the best. I dont really care for them for some reason??

Russ

By car
New world (supermarket) 5 mins
Indian supermarket 10 mins
Seafood joint 10 mins
Beef and lamb if I buy 15 mins

My Mate and I go once a fortnight to check out quirky asian shops while getting a coffee.
Some people worry about the price of gas but I'll travel an hour if I need something.

Russ

If I'm in a pinch & I need something at a moment's notice, there's a Whole Foods supermarket across the street from where I live. I don't shop there because it's too expensive, but I just normally pick up a few things if needed, such as milk, juice, flour or whatever else have you. Usually just so that I can keep things on hand if I want to bake something or cook something on the stove or in the oven. :whistling:

I can't get anything delivered unless by Aussie post (post office). Only 1 courier company and no supermarkets will deliver to my home. I live rurally, not remotely in regional NSW.

So, there is a veg shop in the local town (equivalent of a UK village) some 9km away from me. If I have Covid she'll deliver, but otherwise I have to collect. If I want anything that is not seasonal, she'll likely not have it, plus if I want larger quantities I need to send her a text message. She also has done local artisan orifices such as the green garlic powder I found last week. Prices are higher than supermarkets, but my alternative use to drive to the closest supermarket which is 64km away (each way). So it needs to cost me $20 more to be worth driving an hour each way to cover the fuel alone. Her veg is very good, tasty and often harvested that morning. The down side use that she's only open Wed 2-4pm and Sat & Sun 9am-2pm.

So that leaves a supermarket 64km away (round trip 128km & $20 AUD of fuel plus the 45-55 minute drive each way).

Closer than that? I guess there's the veg plot, been patch and fruit trees in my garden. Now you know why I grow so much of my own, lol.

If I'm in a pinch & I need something at a moment's notice, there's a Whole Foods supermarket across the street from where I live. I don't shop there because it's too expensive, but I just normally pick up a few things if needed, such as milk, juice, flour or whatever else have you. Usually just so that I can keep things on hand if I want to bake something or cook something on the stove or in the oven. :whistling:
Our Whole Foods either closed or closing soon. It was too far for me to go. 25 miles. A friend of mine makes the trip every weekend. Said he is checking out Fresh Market now. I like FM, but only buy sale items. And only go if we are in the area for something else.

Back
Top Bottom