How Glassware Retains Memories

I also don't get into autographs, but I do have a few of my magazine photos/layouts signed by people like Carroll Shelby, Mario Andretti, Sir Stirling Moss, Jim Hall and Derek Bell. Those are framed and also hanging in my office.

CD

I´m not materialist, so I´m not particularly attached to any glass, dish, plate or other utensil.
I do have some Bohemian crystal whisky tumblers I´m very fond of, however. They just seem to make the scotch taste better.

I don't think of these type of collections as materialist. Whether it is beer mugs, wine bottles, or event media badges, they are reminders of good experiences from the past.

CD

Later that same night, I dropped and broke a Detroit Lions glass. It didn’t have any sentimental value, but I was mad that I lost the beer that was in it.

But, I am reminded of a shattered Calvin Johnson Detroit Lions shot glass that I bought when I saw them at Ford field. He was spectacular in the game. I remember watching the shot glass fall from the shelf in slow motion, bounce off the counter, then bounce on the floor and break into a million pieces.

Why is it that drinking vessels for alcohol are always made of glass? I understand that it is best for keeping the flavor of the drink pure, but a bunch of us drunk people are going to be picking them up at some point. This is not a good combination.

Funny you should bring this up, I just chipped a coffee mug that a dear friend gave 20 years ago. I was crushed. I went online and found a duplicate and now I'm wondering if I should keep the chipped mug, replace it, or both.

I have a Guinness mug that I bought in Galway, Ireland, in 1988. I made the mistake of putting it in the dishwasher, which gradually wore off the original Guinness label somewhat. I bought A new Guinness mug, which has a perfect label, and I put the original in a safe place. But, I don’t feel like drinking from the new one. It just seems unauthentic.

I broke one of my beer glasses tonight. I have many that I’ve gotten over the years that remind me of places I visited. I don’t take buying souvenirs lightly: there are places I visited that didn’t have a suitable souvenir glass for me to buy, so I bought nothing. I would rather have a good memory and have a cheesy bit of merchandise to prove I was there. I love Rome, and I bought a stunningly beautiful shot glass at the Vatican, but I couldn’t find a beer glass that was appropriate.

The glass I broke was purchased in Ann Arbor, Michigan, at a food truck park. My wife and I am at my brother, and he suggested this place that not only had amazing food, but an impromptu beer garden. Whenever I see the glass, I remember that day. Now, I feel like a part of me is gone.

I could go on about other beer glasses that have been broken, I’m not sure why they have this kind of importance to me. Maybe I just like the idea of reliving a good memory. I still have other glasses, and other memories, but I will be extra careful with them.

I already sequester them away from the general population. I have had beer glasses broken by other people, and I don’t want to get mad at anybody, so I am moving that chance.

Am I the only one, or do some of you have other objects that you retain because they remind you of something fun or important?
So sorry that this has happened to you!! I't's a sad thing when you lose something that's sentimental & dear to your heart. I'm thinking about getting some acrylic non-breakable beer mugs & glasses. It happens to me also!! 😱

When we were traveling, pre-Covid, we did alot of road trips.
I have a bin that has all of our stuff needed for a comfortable hotel stay.
I have is a clear plastic (hard) Wine tumbler, as well as old school plastic coffee mugs.
Vintage Tupperware Stackable Coffee Mugs.jpg

(photo credit Amazon)

I hunted high and low for these when we first started to travel by car, back maybe 15 years ago.
My Mother found these at a thrift store.
We have the Yellow and Orange, but sadly no lids/coasters.
I also take along with us a small squeeze bottle of dish soap for the was up.

When we were traveling, pre-Covid, we did alot of road trips.
I have a bin that has all of our stuff needed for a comfortable hotel stay.
I have is a clear plastic (hard) Wine tumbler, as well as old school plastic coffee mugs.
View attachment 78344
(photo credit Amazon)

I hunted high and low for these when we first started to travel by car, back maybe 15 years ago.
My Mother found these at a thrift store.
We have the Yellow and Orange, but sadly no lids/coasters.
I also take along with us a small squeeze bottle of dish soap for the was up.

I remember those! Tupperware cup-s & lids in diffrent colors!! I had some of them!!:whistling:

Some of them had even warped a little in the machine!! I think that they may still be availible on Amazon.com.
Yeah, I thought about ordering online some replacements, but we haven't travelled for a while and probably won't be for quite a bit more.

I wish I could say I'm like MG because I don't normally have any sentimental attachment to my glassware, but... I do have one favorite. For my cousin's wedding he gave us groomsmen each a glass with our initials etched into the side. Nothing fancy, but it was "the thought that counts"...
DSC03210-sq.jpg

I wish I could say I'm like MG because I don't normally have any sentimental attachment to my glassware, but... I do have one favorite. For my cousin's wedding he gave us groomsmen each a glass with our initials etched into the side. Nothing fancy, but it was "the thought that counts"...
View attachment 78377
My brother did the same thing, only they were little 0.2 liter lidded steins.

I must admit...I have no idea where that went. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom