How important are sauces to you?

How important are sauces to you?

• Very important - I can't enjoy a dish without some sort of sauce.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Somewhat important - some dishes are good without a sauce (but better with it).

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Neutral - Whether or not there's a sauce isn't important to me.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Unimportant - Dishes shouldn't need sauces: they should stand on their own.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anti-Sauce - I hate sauces. If I see you trying to use a sauce, I will knock it out of your hand.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hmm, I don't think of jus as posh. Not even a sauce, per se, but almost a salty meat broth for adding moisture to bites of steak, or a dip for a sandwich.

Demi glace is more of a sauce.

I always try to order a serving of jus to go with a nice, thick, rare cut of prime rib. If no jus, then a bit of grated horseradish.

I guess in the broader sense, though, it could be a sauce.

Escoffier lists around 220 sauces (an estimate - I didn't actually count them). Pellaprat's Great Book of French Cuisine categorizes them as follows:

Basic brown sauces, made with a browned roux (such as Espagnole, Demi-glace)
Basic white sauces, made with a white roux (such as Bechamel, Veloute)
Tomato
Derivative brown sauces
, based on Demi-glace (Bourgignon, Chasseur, Madeira)
Derivative white sauces, based on Veloute or Bechamel (Dieppoise, Gratin, Normande, Curry(!))
Fine butter sauces, thickened with butter or egg, not flour (Bearnaise, Hollandaise, Mousseline)
Foreign sauces(!), (Apple, Bread, Mint, Horseradish)
Cold sauces, Vinaigrette or Mayonnaise based (Aioli, Gribiche, Tartare, Remoulade)

Obviously this is from a classical French perspective, but I'm hard put to think of a sauce that wouldn't fit into one of these categories. Any suggestions?

What about that jiggly stuff in a can called cranberry sauce LOL.

Had to think about this one for a bit. I guess it really depends on the dish, and your taste. Certain dishes lend themselves to a sauce, While in others, a sauce is not necessary. However, the sauce should compliment or enhance the dish.

Escoffier lists around 220 sauces (an estimate - I didn't actually count them). Pellaprat's Great Book of French Cuisine categorizes them as follows:

Tomato
Derivative brown sauces
Derivative white sauces, based on Veloute or Bechamel (Dieppoise, Gratin, Normande, Curry(!))
Fine butter sauces, thickened with butter or egg, not flour (Bearnaise, Hollandaise, Mousseline)
Cold sauces, Vinaigrette or Mayonnaise based (Aioli, Gribiche, Tartare, Remoulade)

Obviously this is from a classical French perspective, but I'm hard put to think of a sauce that wouldn't fit into one of these categories. Any suggestions?

Mole, green chili, red chili....... Just off the top of my head. I discount the term "Foreign Sauces", may have been to him, but in my world I don't base my idea on what the French categorize them as.:headshake:

Tomato
Derivative brown sauces

I guess it's a good idea to learn some of those sauces if you're in culinary school, but some are so outdated and 60s like hollandaise sauce for eggs benedict, asparagus, etc. Too heavy/rich. Don't think most people cook that way anymore.

I guess it's a good idea to learn some of those sauces if you're in culinary school, but some are so outdated and 60s like hollandaise sauce for eggs benedict, asparagus, etc. Too heavy/rich. Don't think most people cook that way anymore.

I love Hollandaise especially on different versions of Benedict and had no idea what it was until in my 20's. We still have it homemade as most restaurants we go to use a packaged mix. I don't think they are outdated.:hungry:

Guess it's a matter of taste. Haven't seen it on the menu in years. Add a little mutton, and that's what probably sunk the Titanic LOL.

I love Hollandaise especially on different versions of Benedict and had no idea what it was until in my 20's. We still have it homemade as most restaurants we go to use a packaged mix. I don't think they are outdated.:hungry:

Have to agree re Hollandaise - its a fabulous sauce. Fairly easy to make if you know how.

Bechamel is more versatile for me in dishes like moussaka, lasagna, macaroni and cheese etcetera.

Sadly, most people don't seem to cook at all anymore. Those that do will still be cooking classic "outdated" sauces such as Hollandaise long after low fat, vegan, gluten free fads have been forgotten.

Back
Top Bottom