How in the world do you make fried chicken?

smlewis00

Veteran
Local time
3:08 PM
What is the best way to make fried chicken?
I have had an absolute terrible time trying to make it! I followed one recipe exact and I almost caught my kitchen on fire. The recipe said to heat my oil over the stove. I was to then place the chicken in the oil. When I did this, black smoke filled my kitchen! Perhaps I got the oil too hot? How do I know when the oil is too hot or when it is ready? Is there a better way than frying it in oil?
There has to be an easier way! I'm ready just to go to KFC. :)
Any feedback is apperciated! Thanks!

You are right, KFC is a good option!
But maybe your oil got too hot? First of all, always fry in a longer pan to reduce risk of the oil splashing on you. Second, lower the stove's fire. If it's too hot it will make a mess!

You are right, KFC is a good option!
But maybe your oil got too hot? First of all, always fry in a longer pan to reduce risk of the oil splashing on you. Second, lower the stove's fire. If it's too hot it will make a mess!
Thank you for the advice! I still have not mastered the skill of frying chicken! :( It never seems to come out right. I guess practice makes perfect?! I will certainly rethink my pan size and also keep an eye on how hot the oil gets. Thanks again for the advice!

If you are not using an electric fryer, you should be using a heavy duty pan along with a thermometer that can be used for frying. The oil should ideally be about 365 degrees. If it's too low, the chicken will take too long to cook and become very greasy. If it's up too high, which it sounds like yours was, then it will burn and smoke - not to mention splatter a lot more. You could even bring the oil up to about 375 instead, because once you add the chicken in, it will drop it somewhat.

You should have everything ready to go before frying too. Make sure you have all your chicken breaded on one tray, and another tray to place the cooked chicken when done. It also helps to get one of those "spider" utensils to scoop the chicken out.

Personally, I hate wasting all that oil to deep fry chicken. I just do a shallow fry in a frying pan with some pre-seasoned Panko breaded chicken breasts when I am in the mood for some fried chicken.

A cast iron skillet is supposed to be best, but before that you should try seasoning your chicken and marinating it overnight in buttermilk. Discard extra milk and season your flour well with things like poultry seasoning, paprika, salt and pepper. I persoanlly put Tropical Sazon on everything and I love Badia adobe seasoning, they make anything pop with flavor. But anyway, dredge your chicken in egg wash with some hot sauce and then in the seasoned flour and fry until done. Do not move the chicken alot and keep the lid on it. I always sprinkle a little parsley and a pinch of salt on my hot, fresh chicken. Good luck!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvTGxHHZpgs

I am not sure if the original poster is still interested in frying their own or prefer to go to KFC. Whatever the case, I decided to bring one of the several KFC recipes I saw online right to the poster. I know the frying shown in this video won't give you the KFC finish as I feel it needs deep frying to achieve "the look". I imagine the oil was overheated in posters first attempt. Hope all goes well next time out. Failing that KFC is the good option.

Yeah KFC fried chicken is very delicious. I don't know why but I find is taste very appealing to the mouth.I tried to make it at home but I have no success. Right now I am contented in adding prepared mix from the market to my chicken and add some spices to taste.

When you fry chicken it must be dry, do not put wet chicken into hot oil, it will splatter all over the place and you may get burned. To see if your oil is hot enough drop a drop of water into the oil if it sizzles you are ready to start putting your chicken into the oil, if it does not sizzle the oil is not hot enough yet. As the above post state make sure your pan is deep enough to avoid getting burned and use thongs to place your chicken in the oil to avoid burning your finger tips.

And then there is still KFC.

That has happened with me too, on several occasions, and not just with chicken. Either the oil had heated too much which is pretty normal and highly possible, or maybe the frying pan or skillet you were using was of a thin material that heated up quickly.

You can switch to an iron or aluminium skillet with a heavy base, they heat up more gradually and even than steel or such material. Also, from what I've learnt, you should lower the flame before putting the chicken pieces in the oil. That way you avoid splattering and frying bits of your skin :p:

And if you are going to fry chicken, you can consider marinading it with herbs and spices for a few hours prior to cooking. All the best!

There are many ways to do fried chicken.
Pressure fried, oven fried, mustard fried and buttermilk fried.
One of my pressure cookers can do it. :wink:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvTGxHHZpgs

I am not sure if the original poster is still interested in frying their own or prefer to go to KFC. Whatever the case, I decided to bring one of the several KFC recipes I saw online right to the poster. I know the frying shown in this video won't give you the KFC finish as I feel it needs deep frying to achieve "the look". I imagine the oil was overheated in posters first attempt. Hope all goes well next time out. Failing that KFC is the good option.

The video doesn't work. :headshake:

Ok this may sound like cheating but check out you local supermarket for some of the oven heated 'fried' chicken. I tried and expected it to be terrible and I was shocked by just how good [and like KFC] it was. Some are bad I admit but find a good one and you have instantly available chicken in the freezer. Sorry about the cheat but there are times when it's just easier and more convenient and if you are just looking for and easy meal it works.

I have had chicken at Walmart way back when I traveled a lot. It was ridiculously cheap and not half bad. I have not tried it in recent years as it looks rather dried out these days. I hardly ever fry chicken yesterday for some reason I did. I used an egg dip and added some spices and hot sauce it and mixed some flour and some spices as well. Did the usual dipping and voila.

We usually fry chicken when we are in a hurry to prepare food for unexpected house guests. The usual marinade is lemon and soy sauce. It is very common and no one would notice any difference with other fried chicken in town. So in order to have that unique taste, we marinate the chicken in fish sauce. You read it right - fish sauce. Soak the chicken in fish sauce for 30 minutes to 1 hour before frying. Your fried chicken will have that distinctive flavor that you would never forget.

Back
Top Bottom