How is the corona virus affecting you?

Today the first signs of the ACT/NSW border possibly being closed were apparent. Checkpoint signs going up on the main Sydney to Canberra highway at Canberra.
We live in NSW but shop and work in ACT. Doctors is still in NSW but physio and hospital, consultants and everything else are all in ACT. Hopefully it is just for the return to Canberra run in the New Year, but it seems early and there had been no official announcement regarding it. Instructions not to visit Greater Sydney at all are up on road signs leaving Canberra. (History, Canberra despite being the capital of Australia is a strange city. Most restaurants and shops close during the holidays because Canberrians leave in droves every holiday (it's pretty much a diplomatic and military city, so come holidays...).)

If the border is closed, it is rather like stopping anyone in say, Staffordshire entering Cheshire or Derbyshire (as a UK example).
It could also mean we'll need a permit to cross the border (just to go food shopping or for hubby to go to work) and so on. We didn't get the border closed first time around, so this is a rather serious step here. We can't get food delivered because we live rurally. Outside out everyone's area. All we can do in order some stuff online and pick the rest up in the store, which defeats the purpose really. We have no local food shops (no local shops at all) so rely on being able to cross this border... a case of watch this space really, that little one on a mobile electronic noticeboard that seems to bee the only clue as to what is going on, and is less than 5km from the Federal police HQ.

I know compared to other counties, it's nothing but when you can't pop to the local shops because there are none, and you can't get home delivery because you are considered to rural, it becomes problematic to say the least.

Thailand

Prime minister Prayut said on Thursday there is no national lockdown order planned for Thailand, although the government will “intensify” measures following the outbreak of COVID-19 in Samut Sakhon.

Speculation had mounted in recent days that Thailand would be plunged into lockdown after more than 1,000 cases had been reported in the country since Saturday, the majority of which are linked to an outbreak amongst migrant workers in Samut Sakhon.

However, speaking ahead of the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration briefing, the PM said there were no plans to place the whole country in lockdown. Instead, a new colour coded system will be implemented in order to declare areas of risk throughout the country.

Red: High infection rate and at more than 1 location.

Orange: Located close to the red zone or more than 10 cases or growing rate of infections

Yellow: Less than 10 cases

Green: No cases

Provinces in Red zone:
Samut Sakhon - requires urgent contact tracing, use of tracing apps, restriction of business opening times and cancellation of events and public gatherings.

Provinces in Orange zone:
Samut Songkhram, Ratchaburi, Nakhon Pathom & Bangkok - No cross-provincial movement of migrant workers. Mass events are discouraged, but not banned.

Provinces in Yellow zone:
Angthong Ayutthaya, Chachoengsao, Chainat, Chaiyaphum, Kamphaeng Phet, Khon Kaen, Krabi, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nakhon Sawan,Nonthaburi,Pathum Thani, Petchaburi, Phetchabun, Phichit, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phuket, Prachinburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Samut Prakan, Saraburi, Suphanburi, Surat Thani, Udon Thani, Uttaradit - Less restrictive than previous measures, people advised to work from home where possible but not mandatory.

Provinces in Green zone:
All remaining provinces - Regular COVID-19 measures in place

(Our province is in the green zone)

At the time of posting there has been no announcement regarding restrictions on the sale of alcohol or the closing of bars, pubs or restaurants. Any restrictions of this kind are only likely if a province is determined to be a ‘red zone’.

Reactions: mjd
Meanwhile in Merca...

One week after drawing the public's ire for hosting a Christmas caroling event in Thousand Oaks, California largely attended by unmasked, non-socially-distanced singers, Kirk Cameron once again invited his social media followers to join him for a rousing, if highly contagious, round of hymns.

According to local news channel ABC 7, amid surging cases in the state, a crowd of about 75 to 100 people joined the actor turned evangelist outside The Oaks mall next door to a COVID-19 testing center to belt out a few Christian holiday classics. The outlet said the event was attended by people of all ages, few of whom could be seen wearing masks or giving each other the minimum six feet of personal space.

In a social media message prior to the event, Cameron wrote, "Let your voice be heard at this peaceful protest praising the Prince of Peace," according to the outlet. Today’s government leaders’ 'safety rules' of 'no singing,' 'wear your mask at all times' and 'socially distance' seem like they’re straight out of a scene from this scary movie about redefining life and reality for the 'safety of the community'.

CD

My uncle is still in ICU, on a ventilator- they thought he was going to pass yesterday, they called his wife in for the final (socially distanced) goodbye...but he didn't pass. He's still hanging in there and has show very slight improvement in his oxygen level, so maybe he's turned a corner, we don't know.

My uncle is still in ICU, on a ventilator- they thought he was going to pass yesterday, they called his wife in for the final (socially distanced) goodbye...but he didn't pass. He's still hanging in there and has show very slight improvement in his oxygen level, so maybe he's turned a corner, we don't know.

I hope he will keep to improve little by little

Thailand

Prime minister Prayut said on Thursday there is no national lockdown order planned for Thailand, although the government will “intensify” measures following the outbreak of COVID-19 in Samut Sakhon.

Speculation had mounted in recent days that Thailand would be plunged into lockdown after more than 1,000 cases had been reported in the country since Saturday, the majority of which are linked to an outbreak amongst migrant workers in Samut Sakhon.

However, speaking ahead of the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration briefing, the PM said there were no plans to place the whole country in lockdown. Instead, a new colour coded system will be implemented in order to declare areas of risk throughout the country.

Red: High infection rate and at more than 1 location.

Orange: Located close to the red zone or more than 10 cases or growing rate of infections

Yellow: Less than 10 cases

Green: No cases

Provinces in Red zone:
Samut Sakhon - requires urgent contact tracing, use of tracing apps, restriction of business opening times and cancellation of events and public gatherings.

Provinces in Orange zone:
Samut Songkhram, Ratchaburi, Nakhon Pathom & Bangkok - No cross-provincial movement of migrant workers. Mass events are discouraged, but not banned.

Provinces in Yellow zone:
Angthong Ayutthaya, Chachoengsao, Chainat, Chaiyaphum, Kamphaeng Phet, Khon Kaen, Krabi, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nakhon Sawan,Nonthaburi,Pathum Thani, Petchaburi, Phetchabun, Phichit, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phuket, Prachinburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Samut Prakan, Saraburi, Suphanburi, Surat Thani, Udon Thani, Uttaradit - Less restrictive than previous measures, people advised to work from home where possible but not mandatory.

Provinces in Green zone:
All remaining provinces - Regular COVID-19 measures in place

(Our province is in the green zone)

At the time of posting there has been no announcement regarding restrictions on the sale of alcohol or the closing of bars, pubs or restaurants. Any restrictions of this kind are only likely if a province is determined to be a ‘red zone’.
I hope you all can stay in the green zone and safe.

Holding onto hope with you, TastyReuben.

Fingers crossed for him.

To date 4 family and 1 friend have been confirmed as having had in back in the UK. All have managed to stay out of hospital (just, in the case of 1). 2 have struggled to recover though taking months. My brother's ex partner and 2 kids plus likely as not my brother as well, may have had it before testing really started, back in March as well.

We've also lost all contact with a close friend who was a care assistant and volunteered to help out in the hospital tents that went up. Last time we heard anything from her was back in July. We are seriously hoping it is simply problems with her ex but there had been nothing on her Facebook account since then, no response to emails or text messages and nothing from a letter and card sent to get last known address. I will try again in the New Year to track down her sister but after that I'm out of ideas. I did put a return address on the letter and card, but no one returned it but not many people would nowadays especially from abroad. We can only hope but we fear the worst.

We were in town today. The traffic was horrendous (for here). Thousands of folks returning home to celebrate (our) New Year and more than likely bringing the virus with them. We shall be locked in for the next few days (except my wife plans a very early shopping trip tomorrow (I'll believe it when it happens)).

TastyReuben, how is your uncle doing?
Thanks for asking.

He's still in the hospital, but out of ICU. According to my brother, who texted me last night, he should be released "in the next day or two."

We'll see. It's always a frustrating endeavor to try and get information like that from my family. One characteristic of my family is, even though we're there for each other when necessary, we're also very private, even with each other, so that means info is available in drips and has to be pieced together from multiple sources to try and get a complete picture.

We'll see. It's always a frustrating endeavor to try and get information like that from my family. One characteristic of my family is, even though we're there for each other when necessary, we're also very private, even with each other, so that means info is available in drips and has to be pieced together from multiple sources to try and get a complete picture.

That sounds a lot like my family. Glad your uncle is better though.

Thanks for asking.

He's still in the hospital, but out of ICU. According to my brother, who texted me last night, he should be released "in the next day or two."

Of course.

I am happy to hear your uncle is heading in the right direction!

Sounds like we're related. ;-0

My oldest stepson is getting a covid test tomorrow because he's been breathing so loudly today that I could hear him breathe upstairs while we were downstairs.

He also has no taste or smell and a congested nose. My husband and I have very mild cold symptoms, and I have barely a sniffle. But the daycare our eldest goes to had 17 (!) Infected staff members last week, so better get tested..

My oldest stepson is getting a covid test tomorrow because he's been breathing so loudly today that I could hear him breathe upstairs while we were downstairs.

He also has no taste or smell and a congested nose. My husband and I have very mild cold symptoms, and I have barely a sniffle. But the daycare our eldest goes to had 17 (!) Infected staff members last week, so better get tested..

I hope everything will be ok with your stepson and you and your husband too. I’ll get in touch with you, keep me posted when you can, sweetie
I think of you 💛

Back
Top Bottom