How is the corona virus affecting you?

Lockdown has been extended to februari 9th at the minimum. That means restaurants have already been closed for 4 months by then! No other country has cracked down on restaurants as hard as ours, it seems.

Curfew will be implemented from next week on, probably with other measures as well. We'll be informed of them next week on tuesday.

Feeling a little depressed. Especially because the health minister said the corona vaccine might not work for the new strain..

Yesterday the government confirmed we will be going into a new lockdown starting thursday. Lockdown measures will be announced on wednesday. While a new lockdown is absolutely necessary I am naturally anxious about what will come. My first lockdown in March was not too bad, on one hand because I genuinely enjoy spending time at home and didn't have any issues keeping myself busy, on the other hand because I was sure the pandemic would end in the Summer so it would be just a couple months of sacrifice and we'd be done. I'm a lot more anxious about a second lockdown. Like many people I know, we're starting to get a bit desperate that we're in the second year of the pandemic and it just keeps getting worst. My living situation is also different: I moved into a new place I don't like and I don't enjoy my house as much. Back in March I had friends who lived next door and I could walk to their street and they'd come to their balcony and we'd chat a bit; I don't know anyone in my neighborhood now. I have a lot of work right now; I usually work late couple days a week but whenever I have things planned after work (my dance class, dinner with boyfriend) I close my laptop and I go; now that there's nowhere to go I will need a different discipline to keep myself from working day and night, but I feel I'll probably want to work long hours just to keep myself distracted, which isn't necessarily a health way to deal with the extra free time. I also have a boyfriend now, and I'd like to spend time with him.

On top of that I'm a bit afraid that I'll be spending my birthday in lockdown for the second year in a row. I know I shouldn't be worried about that since my birthday is only in March, but I'm not seeing any of this improving soon. Vaccination is continuing here in Portugal but I should only be getting the vaccine later in the year, and I seriously doubt that in March there'll be enough people vaccinated to allow us to resume a bit of normalcy.

All things considered I'm very fortunate that I don't know anyone who got Covid or lost their job during the pandemic, I'm definitely luckier than most, but naturally I'm not at all excited about what's coming in the near future.

Look I totally get how you feel. There's always people who have it worse, but suffering is not the olympics. It doesn't have to be worse to be legitimately sad.

Feeling a little depressed. Especially because the health minister said the corona vaccine might not work for the new strain..
In the UK, we have been told it will work.

That means restaurants have already been closed for 4 months by then! No other country has cracked down on restaurants as hard as ours, it seems.

Lockdown here is likely to go on until the end of February - and it may be longer. Restaurants were closed for the whole of November and then opened again in December (briefly) only to be closed again. The last time I went to a restaurant was a year ago. I fear that many restaurants are going to go under as are many other businesses.

In the UK, we have been told it will work.

Lockdown here is likely to go on until the end of February - and it may be longer. Restaurants were closed for the whole of November and then opened again in December (briefly) only to be closed again. The last time I went to a restaurant was a year ago. I fear that many restaurants are going to go under as are many other businesses.
Restaurants are folding permanently here. Even those that had shifted their sit down service to their patios got closed anyway and that was that. Many went to the expense to constructing outdoor dining got shut down immediately too.

Starting a restaurant in California has to be one of the toughest areas in the world to do. Excessive fees and taxes and excessive regulations make it so only a mediocre chain can afford it.

I'm Jonesin for Lobster tail and a baked potato but know there are those that are desperate for income. They have nothing to return too.

I'm not getting the usual snarky, condescending attitude from our nearest Starbucks employees. They get that way when they are about to get fired or they get fired because they get that way. Don't experience that at all this past year.

The Starbucks employees are appreciative they have an income stream. Their tip jars are full, customers are seeing to that, but with minimum wage and the tips spread thin amongst the crew, it's tough when they close early or a few days a week.

Last edited:
Rather too many Conservative politicians seem to enjoy invoking World War II metaphors. This was particularly prevalent during the interminable Brexit fiasco. Needless to say, a number have been trotting out such drivel during the period of the plague. One pin-striped buffoon was recently invoking the spirit of the blitz, an event he perhaps only missed by some thirty years.

The result of that was that a song kept running through my head. Fortunately on this occasion, it's a song that I like by a band that I like. The song in question is The Lion and the Unicorn by the Men They Couldn't Hang.

I'll take you down to the Underground
That's where the spirit of the blitz is found
Hear that siren over your head
See that platform, that's your bed

Who went mad, who drowned in drink?
Who's in a cage and who's extinct?
Who ended up in a uniform?
The Lion and the Unicorn.

The current situation here is that the recent surge in cases appears to have abated somewhat. The plan is for the schools to re-open on Monday (18th) but whether this will be unrestricted, no-one knows at present. Masks will still be mandatory.

Pubs are still open outside the "red zones" but group gatherings are discouraged.

Thanks. Then, the ringing in my ears I've had since getting the shot would be worth it. It's not as frequent as it was at the beginning, but it still happens from time to time. They told me that it's not a common side-effect of the vaccine, but I've never had tinnitus before, and now I suddenly have it the day I got the shot for unrelated reasons?
I'm sorry you're going through that. Your experience is one reason I don't trust all the hype about vaccines. I know that I've had bad side-effects from taking certain vaccines and my doctor all but called me a liar about it. If they discount what patients are saying about their personal experience with certain vaccines (and/or medications) how can they say everything is okay? It makes no sense.

I hope it goes away for you permanently.

I'm sorry you're going through that. Your experience is one reason I don't trust all the hype about vaccines. I know that I've had bad side-effects from taking certain vaccines and my doctor all but called me a liar about it. If they discount what patients are saying about their personal experience with certain vaccines (and/or medications) how can they say everything is okay? It makes no sense.

I hope it goes away for you permanently.
Thank you. I still have to say that it's worth it if I did get the vaccine. This isn't the same thing as, say, the shingles vaccine. I haven't gotten that yet, at least in part because Johnson & Johnson didn't want it to interfere with their vaccine. If I don't get that one, I may get the shingles and spread it to someone else. It's not fun, but 96 people die from shingles every year. By contrast, people are dying from COVID at a rate of 163 per hour in the US. I'll take my chances with side effects if it keeps me and people around me alive.

Thank you. I still have to say that it's worth it if I did get the vaccine. This isn't the same thing as, say, the shingles vaccine. I haven't gotten that yet, at least in part because Johnson & Johnson didn't want it to interfere with their vaccine. If I don't get that one, I may get the shingles and spread it to someone else. It's not fun, but 96 people die from shingles every year. By contrast, people are dying from COVID at a rate of 163 per hour in the US. I'll take my chances with side effects if it keeps me and people around me alive.
My apologies if it sounded like I was saying the COVID vaccine isn't worth it. I was just commenting on my personal experience having doctors outright ignore what I was telling them about side-effects. I still think many vaccines are "worth it".

I am one of the lowest priority people so it will still be awhile before I can get it. I'm hoping that already having it means my body has built up some defenses. The health department rep. said things are changing daily and they really have no idea if a person can have it more than once.

Wife has to take a different route into her work because the nearby County Coroners Morgue has traffic backed up over the local streets. Vehicles dropping off the Covid victims.

So many vehicles the Dept. of Transportation reset the traffic signal patterns and durations for several square blocks to accommodate them. The Dept has also cleared out adjacent warehouses and other buildings to accommodate storage for this too.
A real eye opener to drive on the I 15 and look East as you pass over Mission St. and see the reality of this tragedy.

Drivers instructed not to cue up nor wait in the nearby McDonalds parking lot.

All non-essential surgery stopped. Employer to Employee retirement plan contributions suspended too.

No mention in the media where this virus came from and any steps taken to prevent it from happening again. I wonder why?

I copy and pasted the above in the motorsports forums I've been active in for the past 20 Years.
This in the threads of those that claim it's all a hoax and the Vaccine is bogus and they won't take the vaccine.
These are the same people that claim Wrestlings real, Jack Ruby had an affair with Castros wife on the Grassy Knoll, we faked the moon landing.
Get vaccinated.

BTW: The Bushwackers would still hold the belt in the WWA if they didn't retire.

Back
Top Bottom