How many of you would send a meal back to the kitchen?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
11:47 AM
Day-Day enjoying ice cream..jpg
Would you send a meal back to the kitchen of the restaurant that you dine in?

For what seems ike way too many times, I've dined out with a friend, and the food we got was not to our liking! Then, when my 2 grand nephews came up this summer, the 10-year-old (pictured above), who is also a very alert & expert food prodigy and gives his opinion on the food that he eats at restaurants, has told us that if the food he gets is not to his liking, he sends it back immediately!

We's seen him do this on several occasions! We've learned from him that if something isn't right, we should tell the server and ask that it be taken back to the kitchen for a replacement meal.

We've then decided that when something is wrong with the food that we get, it will be sent right back to the kitchen. This has happened to us way too many times, and we decided that when a meal is not to our liking (is cold, not appitizing) or whatever the case may be, we will not accept it.

Also, the service is a big factor as well! If you've waited too long for someone to come to your table to greet you and offer you something to drink, that also presents a serious problem as well.

My grand nephew noticed that as well and told us that he wanted to talk to the manager of the eatery, to let him know that the service there was very poor & unacceptable!! And he did! We aplauded him very appreciatively!

He likes to cook & bake and he wants to become a professional chef and own his own restaurant when he grows up! He also likes to hang out in the kitchen when meals are being prepared!! As you might guess, he's a very big boy for his age, judging from the pic of him above, and he enjoys food immensely!! Guess that the smell of a meal being cooked always attracts him to the kitchen, and makes him hungry a lot.

So I ask; How many of you have encountered these problems in a restaurant that you've dined in?
excl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I have sent food back to the kitchen ever. I really hate confrontations or being mad in a public place. I also shy away from making other people feel bad even if I know that they messed something up. Unless the food is raw or dirty, I will not send it back. I am brave enough to finish something though it is too salty or bland. I just take it as a lesson and never eat there again.

We once had a meal that was very below standard, the place was part of a chain but that is no excuse for the poor quality. I ordered goat curry and was given a bowl of dishwater slop served in a bowl that had a large chunk taken out of it and was rather sharp. I sent it straight back, no excuse for that.

We once had a meal that was very below standard, the place was part of a chain but that is no excuse for the poor quality. I ordered goat curry and was given a bowl of dishwater slop served in a bowl that had a large chunk taken out of it and was rather sharp. I sent it straight back, no excuse for that.

Also, I'd have gotten up and left!!

They can't charge you for it due to their recklessness and carelessness!! :mad: :eek:

I have never sent food back to the kitchen. In fact, I don't think I have ever encountered receiving a below standard meal when dining out. However, I suppose if the meal was below standard, I would leave half of it on the plate and decide to dine somewhere else in future. I don't think I would send the meal back to the kitchen.

Normally, I would hate to do it myself, but I'm not putting up with crappy food or crappy service either!

They've got a job to do, and that job is to make the customers all happy, and sometimes go above & beyond the call of duty. And their level of service depends on the size of the tip that they'd get from me. :eek:

Trouble was my husband's meal was really good and he was enjoying it so I couldn't walk out.

And you had to sit there with nothing to eat?!!

Either they'd have been making something else for me, or I'd want to speak with the manager on duty!! :mad: :eek:

I will only do it if they roally effed up and I'd go hungry instead of eating it! I'm honestly not a very picky eater so this is rarely an issue. Messing up my nonfat quad latte is another story though lol.

I don't send it back unless the mistake is too major for me to ignore. I also consider the conditions of the time I get a wrong order. For example, if the staff looks to busy and worn out, I'd consider just ignoring the mistakes and cut them some slack. If the restaurant were a lot less busy though, then if might indulge a bit more.

To me, there is just no excuse at all when an eatery is plagued with sloppiness, recklessness, incompetence and just plain ignorant!!!

I pay for my food, I expect decent service. Sure, at times, it might not be their fault, but when the same annoying thing keeps popping up, then something's gotta give!! :eek:

View attachment 350 Would you send a meal back to the kitchen of the restaurant that you dine in?

For what seems ike way too many times, I've dined out with a friend, and the food we got was not to our liking! Then, when my 2 grand nephews came up this summer, the 10-year-old (pictured above), who is also a very alert & expert food prodigy and gives his opinion on the food that he eats at restaurants, has told us that if the food he gets is not to his liking, he sends it back immediately!

We's seen him do this on several occasions! We've learned from him that if something isn't right, we should tell the server and ask that it be taken back to the kitchen for a replacement meal.

We've then decided that when something is wrong with the food that we get, it will be sent right back to the kitchen. This has happened to us way too many times, and we decided that when a meal is not to our liking (is cold, not appitizing) or whatever the case may be, we will not accept it.

Also, the service is a big factor as well! If you've waited too long for someone to come to your table to greet you and offer you something to drink, that also presents a serious problem as well.

My grand nephew noticed that as well and told us that he wanted to talk to the manager of the eatery, to let him know that the service there was very poor & unacceptable!! And he did! We aplauded him very appreciatively!

He likes to cook & bake and he wants to become a professional chef and own his own restaurant when he grows up! He also likes to hang out in the kitchen when meals are being prepared!! As you might guess, he's a very big boy for his age, judging from the pic of him above, and he enjoys food immensely!! Guess that the smell of a meal being cooked always attracts him to the kitchen, and makes him hungry a lot.

So I ask; How many of you have encountered these problems in a restaurant that you've dined in?
excl.gif
I would definitely send a meal back if it was unacceptable! The way I see things is, if your eating out and paying good money for a meal it should be good. If not, it goes back until it is or I chose something else. I just think it's unfair to expect people to pay for something and then get something other than what it should be. It hasn't happened often, maybe once or twice but I just think it should be fair.

Danyel :)

No offense, but have you considered simply not going out to eat? It almost sounds as if you are going in there with the mindset that you *will* find something(s) you don't like about the food just so you can send it back and ask for compensation from the management. You have to be somewhat realistic, especially if a restaurant is getting slammed, that the food and the service may take a hit as a result. Your server may be juggling several tables at once, and cannot drop what they are doing to cater to you solely. Your food might take a few minutes in the window before someone, the server or a food runner, can get it over to your table. Any fried elements on the plate may not taste quite as fresh because the fryers are getting slammed with orders and the oil is going bad. There are many things to consider, but to some extent, that's just the reality of going out to eat.

I'm more of a fan of "treat others how you would like to be treated". Would you appreciate your employer being that demanding of you at all times, and making you re-do your work several times and possibly not compensating you in the process out of their disappointment and frustration with the quality of your work? How would you feel if you prepared a big meal for family and friends and they sent your food back and kept telling you it wasn't cooked properly or not appetizing?

If you've had as many bad experiences as you claim, it's only logical to not go back to those places or any restaurants for that matter.

Me, a friend & a brother were eating breakfast at a restaurant - one that we used to like to go to.

Seems that the service hasn't been up to par on the last few visits! I had to wait another 10 minutes for my meal! They would take too long bringing us the check so that we could settle up, and then, the frosting on the cake was when the owner came over to us and told us to "get up because customers were waiting for our table"!!!

We never went back there again!! :mad::eek:

I've rarely had to do this, but I will send something back if necessary. If it's a tiny bit off, I'll usually just make do. If it is cold or terrible or done wrong, I will send it back. I do it nicely, but on the rare occasion that I go out to eat, I want it to be good. I've never had a problem returning anything either - they could clearly see there was a problem and that I wasn't being difficult. I worked in wait service for too long to give anybody a hard time, but I do expect to get what I pay for.

Back
Top Bottom