How Many Posts Are Called "Hello"? Add One.

The OMWC

Local time
10:47 AM
Website
www.enjoyterracotta.com
I'm a research scientist at a rather rural university a stone's throw from the Finger Lakes in Western New York. Our little town nestled in the hills has under 1,000 non-student residents, so I lead a rather quiet life with my daughter who manages the local café (which I partly own) and I have the fun of developing dishes for it. I moved here a year ago after a long career as an itinerant with the idea of living here the rest of my life.

Although the café is not vegetarian by a long shot, I am one of them. My favorite cuisines to cook are "d. All of the above." The most recent addition to the category Food I Love is Georgian. I write in choppy and disjointed sentences. At least tonight.

When not cooking or sciencing, I am developing some knowledge of the local wines, which amazingly are exactly the style that I love most. Oh, and I adore hiking, long walks in the rain, and trips to the county dump.

Hi, welcome from Ohio!

My wife, though raised way up in Plattsburgh (she’s there now) was born not too terribly far from you, in Corning. She still has lots of family in Corning, Horseheads, and Painted Post. Her nephew lives Honeoye.

Hi, welcome from Ohio!

My wife, though raised way up in Plattsburgh (she’s there now) was born not too terribly far from you, in Corning. She still has lots of family in Corning, Horseheads, and Painted Post. Her nephew lives Honeoye.
Grazie! I'm a bit less than an hour from Corning, and we're training a lot of people who end up there at the Glass Works. The most difficult thing about my move here was learning to pronounce "Honeoye."

Local produce tends to be wonderful. Tomatoes and corn are starting to come on in a rush and I'm going to use the hell out of them until the season's over. Panzanella tonight with some local heirlooms.

I just had a visit from some friends from both Cleveland and Pittsburgh during which I was initiated into the cult of Butterhorns.

I just had a visit from some friends from both Cleveland and Pittsburgh during which I was initiated into the cult of Butterhorns.
Welcome!

I live in Akron, OH, about 40 minutes south of Cleveland and 2 hours NW of Pittsburgh. I have no idea of what a Butterhorn is, LOL. I must go Google now!

Added: Okay, crescent rolls, yum! Just learned some new terminology, thank you :)
Butterhorns
1659708164212.png

Last edited:
The butterhorns are sweet and have fruit fillings- at least the ones brought to me by the Clevelanders. It is fortunate that their availability to me is limited, else I'd weigh 20-30kg more.
Yeah I've never seen or heard of them until now. I've only lived in NE Ohio for 23 years, so I asked my husband and his mother about them since they've lived here most of their lives. They've never heard of them either (MIL is 79). I'll have to research where to find them since I go to Cleveland pretty often, as it's only 40 minutes or so from Akron. I'm anxious to try one. They sound delicious!

Yeah I've never seen or heard of them until now. I've only lived in NE Ohio for 23 years, so I asked my husband and his mother about them since they've lived here most of their lives. They've never heard of them either (MIL is 79). I'll have to research where to find them since I go to Cleveland pretty often, as it's only 40 minutes or so from Akron. I'm anxious to try one. They sound delicious!
They got them here.

Dangerous, very dangerous.

They got them here.

Dangerous, very dangerous.
Okay, that explains a lot. Parma (25 minutes NW of me) has a large central and eastern European population and Lydia's is a Hungarian strudel shop (one I did not know about obviously). I go to Parma a few times a month so I will stop in and look.

It's really odd, because as I was searching for information, some sites claimed that the Butterhorn was Amish or Mennonite in origin, some sources stated Austrian (or others Polish, Hungarian, or Czech). Who knows or cares, LOL, as long as it tastes good!

And again, welcome here, looking forward to seeing some of your recipes and photos of your food!

Okay, that explains a lot. Parma (25 minutes NW of me) has a large central and eastern European population and Lydia's is a Hungarian strudel shop (one I did not know about obviously). I go to Parma a few times a month so I will stop in and look.

It's really odd, because as I was searching for information, some sites claimed that the Butterhorn was Amish or Mennonite in origin, some sources stated Austrian (or others Polish, Hungarian, or Czech). Who knows or cares, LOL, as long as it tastes good!

And again, welcome here, looking forward to seeing some of your recipes and photos of your food!
I'm digging a few up. I have a bunch of photos on IG but I'm admittedly a crap photographer. My late wife was a pro and damned intimidating!

First recipe post coming up shortly, using a photo I'm stealing from my daughter.

I'm digging a few up. I have a bunch of photos on IG but I'm admittedly a crap photographer. My late wife was a pro and damned intimidating!

First recipe post coming up shortly, using a photo I'm stealing from my daughter.
Maybe you should enter butterhorns in this month's recipe challenge? The challenge ingredient is flour. The competitions are quite fun!

The CookingBites recipe challenge: flour

Back
Top Bottom