How Much Did You Spend On Groceries?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
7:53 AM
Sometimes it can be fun to compare prices and items from different areas and cultures, so here's what I got today (just highlighting the main items):

Bottled water - free
Havarti - $5.49/8oz
Parmesan - $4.99/6oz
Streaky bacon - $6.99/22oz
English muffins - $3.29/6
Mustard - $2.24
White sugar - $3.49/3 lbs
Brown sugar - $2.49
Really brown sugar - $2.49
Apples - $4.04/4
Radishes - $2.58/2 bunches, about 25
Green beans - $1.70/1 lb
Potatoes - $3.99/5 lbs
Carrots - $2.99/1 bunch, about six
Meatloaf mix (beef, pork, veal) - $19.63/2 lbs
Chicken breasts - $5.73/1 lb
Beer - $8.99/6 12oz bottles
More beer - $9.99/6 12oz bottles
Still more beer - $9.99/6 12oz bottles
Finally, the last of the beer - $11.99/6 12oz bottles

That cost me $134.34. There were some miscellaneous items I didn't include that make up the difference (dog food, etc).

Last edited:
What did each item cost you and what store was it? And just how much beer did you buy? Preparing for the hurricane? lol

What did each item cost you and what store was it? And just how much beer did you buy? Preparing for the hurricane? lol
Prices have been annotated. Beer is because it's Oktoberfest season, and all the brewers have their O'fest beers out!

Wow so expensive Tastyruben !

They say Dutch food prices are one of the lowest in the world, guess that's true. This is my most expensive shop of the month, as it is the first after getting my salary.

I bought today:
1 kg apples
1 kg potatoes
2x bread loaf
1 cucumber
1 zuchini
1 bag of radishes
1 bag of parsnips
4 fresh figs
1 bag of oranges
2x bag of fresh spinach
2x bag of french fries
fresh flatleaf parsley
bottle of italian vinegar
2 x potato chips
1 x garlic bread sticks
1 x bag of oatmeal
4 x tinned tomatoes
8x tomato puree
1 bag of spaghetti
1 gallon of fresh milk
2x a pound of yoghurt
1 x liver sausage
1 pound of Gouda cheese
2 pots of butter
2 snack breads
1 jar of lemon curd
2 x bag of freezer snacks (because kids..)
1 x minced beef
1x jar of garlic sauce (on of the children eats only that as a condiment)
1x box of cat food
1x bag of pita breads
2x tin of tuna
1x tin of hotdogs (only meat the eldest will eat)
4x chilli halloumi
2x buffalo mozzarella
1x dried oregano

Total of 85.30 euro.

Wonder what your bill would be if you bought all the beer he did. lol

Free plug coming up-

Hope you bought all that food in preparation for playing The Cookbook Game. lol

Wow so expensive Tastyruben !
This is why I like to compare. I live in what is considered one of the much more economical areas of the country, and it's always taken for granted that everything in Europe costs 10x what it costs here in the US, so I enjoy seeing real expenditures from real people.

Wonder what your bill would be if you bought all the beer he did. lol
:laugh: - and that didn't include the 28-pack I bought last weekend, or the bottle of Amaretto the wife came home with the other day. She was mad today because they were out of her favorite bourbon!

Oh, there were also already about a dozen bottles of beer in the fridge, so we're good. My brother and his wife are coming over in a couple of weeks, and she drinks like an alkie beer vampire, and she'll clean me out if I'm not well-stocked. :)

Maybe it would be just as high, but we never drink alcohol. Guess that saves a lot.
Booze is definitely expensive, or can be. We can get crappy mass-produced swill (Bud/Miller/Coors) for cheap, but good-quality craft beer and good imports run in the $10-$12-a-six-pack range.

Funny side note - I'm on another (non-cooking) forum with a fair amount of Canadians, and we'll trade beer prices back and forth, and they're always gobsmacked at how cheaply I can get beer.

We just sort of filled in some fresh/frozen veges due to the hurricane, but the ad for the store where we normally get our veges and proteins has

2 lb carrots. $1.29
3 lb onions $1.79
5 lb potatoes. $1.99
Vine ripe tomatoes. $1.49 lb
Boston butt $1.29 lb
Ground Chuck $1.99 lb
Italian sausage $1.99 lb
Chicken thighs were 0.79 on sale last week

We buy bacon when it's on BOGO and freeze 1 package, so it's between $5 and $6 a pound.

Parm we buy in 1/8 wheel at the restaurant supply place. It's usually around $13 a pound. We divide it up and vacu-pack.

We watch the ads and buy things like paper towels, toilet paper, cleaning stuff when it's on sale or BOGO. We have a Publix, Winn Dixie, Wal-Mart, our butcher/vege place all within less than 10 minutes, all but 1 in the same direction. The restaurant supply place is within 15-20 minutes but we don't go there even monthly anymore.

We spend probably an average of $100 each week on groceries and other household items, not including alcohol.

This is why I like to compare. I live in what is considered one of the much more economical areas of the country, and it's always taken for granted that everything in Europe costs 10x what it costs here in the US, so I enjoy seeing real expenditures from real people.

Oh that's funny, we think the same about the US being more expensive lol.

I think we got the expensive name because dining out here is much more expensive than in the US, but cooking at home is cheap.

Fascinating thread - @Yorky will come in cheapest I'll bet. When I get time tomorrow, I'll annotate UK prices in comparison. I reckon despite the pound dropping in value we are probably cheaper than US. But it depends on what produce. I may be proved wrong.

I just did the math on our credit card (all groceries are charged)
This month has been the least expensive in 3 mo. (since I started keeping track)
DH made 11 trips = $54.60 average per trip
Average per week = $150.14
Total for 1 month = $600.55

That incl. medicine at Publix, and also once or twice a month (whenever Publix has it) if you spend $50 on groceries, you can buy a $50 gas card for $40.00. Don't know just how much groceries alone costs, but I know it sure as heck makes our credit card high.

I should mention that all my fresh meat is local, less than 20 miles from my house, and organic/human/chemical-free and all that jazz, so drives up the price. If I went with Kroger stuff, I could probably cut my meat bill in half.

Back
Top Bottom