How Much Did You Spend On Groceries?

To make things more comparable, how about coming up with a list of items that almost everyone buys, like milk, eggs, ground beef, chicken (whole/parts), potatoes, etc. If we come up with 10-20 items, then we compare apples to apples -- literally.

CD

I think this is a great idea!

And I forgot to mention the cat food on my list :wink:

I did notice some prosciutto in the supermarket - only US$ 50.00/kg.

I was tempted but I didn't buy any.

I did notice some prosciutto in the supermarket - only US$ 50.00/kg.

I was tempted but I didn't buy any.
The big international market that's about an hour from me, they import some very high-end cured meats from Italy. Last time I was there, they had one that was $130US a pound.

Their deli is famous for cutting off a big hunk of whatever you want to try...the sample of that they spotted me was about the size of my pinky fingernail! :)

Freshwater prawns/shrimps range from $6.50/kg to $13.00/kg depending on type/size.

These medium size were ฿ 237.00/kg (US$ 7.75) today.

With shell s.jpg

Without shell s.jpg

The bowl is 190 mm diameter and there are 23 prawns.

What ever it takes to buy the ingredients we need for our planned meals. Sometimes we splurge on items we may run across like live Dungeness crab or live geoduck, black truffles, etc.

This small cauliflower was US$1.00 (US$ 2.35/kg).

cauliflower - makro s.jpg

The cost of shrimp here depends on where they came from and whether they were framed or wild caught. I will only buy wild caught Gulf shrimp (US coast of Gulf of Mexico). Those cost a lot more than shrimp farm raised in someplace like China, but wild caught Gulf shrimp are safer and cleaner.

Living 250 miles from the coast, I have to buy them frozen, which is fine as long as they are frozen, shell on. The shell protects the meat.

Depending on how the shrimping season is doing, I can pay anywhere from 10 bucks a pound to 20 bucks.

I have purchased wild caught Argentinian red shrimp, and they are very good. But, not cheap, either.

I am very picky about my seafood. I've had cancer once, and that's enough. Farm raised American catfish is actually better tasting and safer than wild caught. But, farm raised seafood from countries with little or no regulatory oversight is not going to be on my plate.

So, I probably pay "too much" on the seafood that I love so much.

I so miss the days when I lived on the Texas Gulf coast, and could buy shrimp that was caught that day for $2.50 a pound.

CD

Living 250 miles from the coast, I have to buy them frozen, which is fine as long as they are frozen, shell on. The shell protects the meat.

That is a long way from the coast - in the UK wherever you live you are a maximum of 70 miles from the coast (I think). I love being in Kent because it has a very long coastline - and I can get to the coast in half an hour or so. Whitstable is a fishing port and has a brilliant fish & seafood market.

Keep in mind that I live in Texas, and 250 miles is a short distance here. But the highway speed limit range from 70mph (112kph) to 85mph (136kph). So, it's not bad.

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 7.12.13 AM.jpg

BTW, I have been to the UK four times, for weeks at a time. I love it! I have not been to the Kent area.

CD

Last edited:
According to Google, I'm 362 miles from the coast, and that suits me just fine. :)

We lived in Texas (San Antonio) for 18 months - can't say that I have any good memories of that beyond the inexpensive food, and it does seem like one can drive for days and still be in Texas, kind of like the Twilight Zone.

I lived in Ohio (Cincinnati suburb) for 2 years. Lots of good memories, other than the tornado outbreak of 1974 that wiped out half of my town. I also don't have any good food memories.

I really don't remember where my mom bought our food, or what it cost. I was entering my teenage years, and discovered the allure of girls, so I didn't care about things like where my food came from.

CD

Too much! Hard to figure, for me. Sometimes I order in or eat out. Necessities, cleaning products, batteries etc., are usually part of the order. Increasing prices, and shrinking food size make it difficult to calculate, as well. I try to shop for the best prices, but it's getting more difficult around here. I tried rebelling & beating the market at their own game - ever increasing prices. In one order I placed, I went with the rock-bottom price on most of the order. I wasn't too happy with some choices, and I didn't save that much money. When I saw a package of 3 or 4 lightbulbs jump to $14, I rolled my eyes, scratched my head, & gave up.

Last edited:
I don't give myself a budget. I tried once and became depressed. I do plan my menus. On average I spend about $500 to 600.00 for a family of 5, that includes all household items. I buy 2 or 3 processed food items a month. Dr Pepper, chips, and crackers- sometimes. I do one huge shopping trip a month. Then every 7 to 10 days a milk and fresh produce run

Today, from our butcher/vege place
$0.79 lb for chicken thighs
$0.99 lb for pork butt with 1 bone
$5.99 boneless rib eye (with bone same price)
$1.69 lb Roma/plum tomatoes
$2.49 lb Red and orange bell peppers
$0.79 bunch of scallions (5-6 large)
$3.99 lb organic baby arugula
$3.49 for 12 ounces baby arugula

From the regular grocery (Publix)
$10.49 six pack Anita Pecan ale (seasonal product, mine, mine, all mine)
$3.50 Kitchen Basics chicken stock, 32 oz
$3.99 lb three color new potatoes
$1.73 for 1 pint/2 cups half-n-half
$3.00 for 4-pack unsalted butter

Back
Top Bottom