How much do you spend (per head) on food per week?

I think our bill is high, but everything has gone up with the pandemic. Groceries have increased by 11% the last time I read and it's probably more than that right now. Plus I buy more than I used to because I can't just go to the store anytime I want. What I used to buy one of, I now buy 2 of every time so that there is always 1-2 in waiting. This is not the way I like to shop. Ideally I buy whatever I want to cook and any pantry items that we are running low on and thats all. At any rate I've been getting groceries once a week and the bill has been as high as $200 if I am buying meat, and as low as $79 the last time I went (because the freezer was already too full, i was only buying fresh produce and dairy. I think the average bill is around $125 and there are only two of us although we do feed all the downtown cats, possums, raccoons. plus our two dogs.
I've definitely noticed the increase. One thing that's really obvious - Kroger has drastically cut their digital coupons. Things that always had a coupon associated with it...nope.

I went today (see my list in the "What Did You Buy?" topic) - no meat, except for a pack of lunchmeat, and the bill was $130. I've also, for weeks where I've bought a reasonable amount of meat, had bills close to $200, and that's for two people.

Okay so I"m really not overspending I guess. When I see the totals in the app I'm always appalled.

I've definitely noticed the increase. One thing that's really obvious - Kroger has drastically cut their digital coupons. Things that always had a coupon associated with it...nope.

I went today (see my list in the "What Did You Buy?" topic) - no meat, except for a pack of lunchmeat, and the bill was $130. I've also, for weeks where I've bought a reasonable amount of meat, had bills close to $200, and that's for two people.

Okay so I"m really not overspending I guess. When I see the totals in the app I'm always appalled.
Well, I was always used to going for a weekend big shop, which would usually be about $90, but then I'd shop three or four times through the week, at $20-$30 a go, so who knows, I might actually be spending less. :)

TastyReuben and Milkduds - I've come to the conclusion that we (me & partner) must eat a lot less food than you guys, because I think food prices in store are roughly similar (on average) between us. I seem to be spending around 50% less than you are. We eat very little meat and hardly any processed products so that may make a difference.

My estimate doesn't include alcohol!

Difficult to separate non-food items but I guess on average we spend around between 75 -100 euro per person, but we almost never order food or take-out. Since beginning of the summer season I don't have to buy most of the vegetables and herbs as I grow them in my tiny garden, so it may be a bit lower for the last 2 months or so.

Lately I have been spending about $70 a week, but I already have a lot of stuff on hand. And that doesn't include alcohol. And we don't have a dog or cat. Our squirrels eat about $20 a month worth of peanuts and seeds in the summer and double that in the winter.

Lately I have been spending about $70 a week, but I already have a lot of stuff on hand. And that doesn't include alcohol. And we don't have a dog or cat. Our squirrels eat about $20 a month worth of peanuts and seeds in the summer and double that in the winter.

Wish we had squirrels, I love them. I would feed them as well. I may get stray cats now the dog has gone.

Russ

What kind of wild critters do you have? I thought every continent or region had some version of squirrel.

What kind of wild critters do you have? I thought every continent or region had some version of squirrel.

Hedgehogs, I had a family of them when I had a big flax bush living under it. No squirrels, snakes or gators. Wild deer and feral pigs in the bush but not in towns. I used to go deer stalking many years ago. We have rabbits hares and possums, lots of possums. That's about it really.
A few years ago I had a family of cats under my back door decking, but that's another story!

Russ

I like that you have no snakes.

Possums seem to be on every continent, unless not in UK or Europe? I dunno.

Mine's probably quite high but then I'm happy to a premium for quality.

I spend probably $40 (AUD) a week on fresh fruit & veg which (mostly) gets consumed. What doesn't goes to my friends for their chooks
I spend at least $200 direct from a farm provider for meat & fish, but that lasts me at least 6 weeks. At least one item in that purchase will be for entertaining. I'd estimate I use about $20-30 a week
I probably spend about $20-30 a week topping up pantry items but then I wouldn't use all of that each week either.
I'd guestimate about $60 a week just for myself.

I'm not even going to think about alcohol :)

$100 - $150 per week for two. Prices during covid have definitely gone up around my area. Also eating at home more often raises our grocery bill.

Back
Top Bottom