How Much Do You Think About Nutrition?

Food4thought

Veteran
Local time
5:55 PM
I think about nutrition when I go shopping for food and when I am planning a meal. I try to have a well balanced diet with the right amount of fresh vegetables and fruit on a daily basis. I rarely eat meat so I have to include protein from other sources. I am also aware that some foods contain only "empty calories" if the main ingredients are sugar, starch and artificial flavors, so I always read the labels.

I would think that cooking for a family requires even more consideration to nutritional values.

I don't really think about it too much because I know over the course of a week it balances out. I am quite happy to allow some meals not to have what I class as 'obvious veg', whereby additional veg have not been served with the meal (this isn't really an issue being effectively vegan).

But I do have to make sure I get a high enough calcium content (I take steroids regularly for an adrenal gland condition and that means I need to protect my bones from osteoporosis) so I always have 2 cups of hot (oat or almond) milk a day both of which are fortified with calcium.

I think about it to some degree, especially when I'm eating deep fried or fried food, which unfortunately, I love. I'm especially wary of fried food I get at restaurants or more specifically - fast food restaurants, because I know that they don't really try to squeeze out all of the oil so I try to press it with napkins after I order.

I try my best to think about nutrition. I got into the whole paleo diet thing a few months back. Eating no starches or flour had a huge impact on the way I felt. Much more energy, and I lost a lot of weight. That combined with plenty of exercise makes for a good lifestyle. On the flip side, I eventually started introducing carbohydrates back into my diet and i noticed my energy start to drain a lot easier again : (

I'm in recovery from anorexia-- the mental/emotional issues that fueled it have been dealt with and sorted out, but the physical repercussions last much longer --so, the nutritional value of what I eat is something that I think about constantly.

I think about it all the time because I'm having issues with my stomach. When I ate healthier I felt better. Except, since no one wants to eat healthier with me I tend to forget about eating well. So, unfortunately, I only think about it a lot. I no I should eat better but I don't have the energy to cook two separate meals or fight everyone to eat healthier.

I think about quite a bit, but I don't really stare at the numbers at all. I just try to have a normal, balanced diet and that's it. Common sense more than numbers for me, though there are times when I take a look at the numbers marked in the package... usually when comparing two similar products.

Generally I pay close attention to it, I feel so much better when I do pay attention to it. For the most part I eat chicken or seafood and have a ton of veggies with it. I am in the process of going gluten free having learned that it will be easier to live without my thyroid by doing so.

Back
Top Bottom