How much fat do you like in your milk?

Totally as an aside and please don't take it the wrong way (I know it is a translation issue), we tend to use the word "udders" rather than breasts when it comes to cows but you did bring a smile to my face! :giggle:

My Grandmother would only every drink sterilised milk in those funny shaped milk bottles! Yuck that was foul. :sick:

Ewww. I remember sterilised milk as well. Bleh.

Totally as an aside and please don't take it the wrong way (I know it is a translation issue), we tend to use the word "udders" rather than breasts when it comes to cows but you did bring a smile to my face! :giggle:

My Grandmother would only every drink sterilised milk in those funny shaped milk bottles! Yuck that was foul. :sick:
Never realised that about the cow - must be a GB / USA thing, that is wierd.
Any how + several million against the sterilized stuff - it's awful.

:scratchhead::scratchhead:SatNavSaysStraightOn, in my near 50 years I can't say I have ever used the word and I promise you when I call my mom she'll want to know what I am talking about. I say my mom as I distinctly recall she was the "udders puller" (still not sure how to use the word) for the most part. I can see her now. I was the last of seven so what I found as fun was hard work for the others. I often just got in the way. I am smiling myself as "udders" sounds like my dialect for "others". Thanks for the education and still I would not mind handling those "udders" for the delight of seeing that milk expressed.

:scratchhead::scratchhead:SatNavSaysStraightOn, in my near 50 years I can't say I have ever used the word and I promise you when I call my mom she'll want to know what I am talking about. I say my mom as I distinctly recall she was the "udders puller" (still not sure how to use the word) for the most part. I can see her now. I was the last of seven so what I found as fun was hard work for the others. I often just got in the way. I am smiling myself as "udders" sounds like my dialect for "others". Thanks for the education and still I would not mind handling those "udders" for the delight of seeing that milk expressed.
how weird... I thought I had tracked down most of the USA-UK word variations (such as cookie for biscuit) and I have lived on a farm for most of my life and currently live with a herd of cows that my landlady breeds for showground purposes and they have always been udders (or an udder) in the UK.

OK well a quick diversion has udders as ..

An udder is an organ formed of the mammary glands of female quadruped mammals, particularly ruminants such as cattle, goats, sheep and deer.[1] The udder is a single mass hanging beneath the animal, consisting of pairs of mammary glands. In cattle there are normally two pairs, in sheep, goats and deer there is one pair, and in some animals such as pigs there are many pairs. In animals with udders, the mammary glands develop on the milk line near the groin, and mammary glands that develop on the chest (such as in humans and apes) are generally referred to as breasts.[1]
Curious I have never really comprehended the difference between udders and breasts even though this is exactly the definition I knew....
And another US-UK lesson learnt. Apologies.

We use udders in America as well. Perhaps it depends on personal experience rather than regional. I like variations of 'milks' over cow's milk any day of the week. If I would have to choose a cow's milk I'm going to go with 1%. It's on the verge of being watery but there's enough fat to fight that off.

We use udders in America as well. Perhaps it depends on personal experience rather than regional. I like variations of 'milks' over cow's milk any day of the week. If I would have to choose a cow's milk I'm going to go with 1%. It's on the verge of being watery but there's enough fat to fight that off.
my personal favourite was sheep's milk but we could only purchase it frozen sadly. It was so rich and creamy and one of the most nutritious from what I understood.
I have to say when Goat's milk started to have a full cream, semi-skimmed and skimmed option in the UK (about 10 years ago) we opted for the semi-skimmed immediately because semi-skimmed goats seemed to me to be equivalent to full cream cow's milk in richness!

milk.jpg

Where I live you don't expect to find goats milk in every supermarket. If it's available it's going to be in the bigger more established supermarkets and it isn't cheap. I see others mention 1% milk and I'll be sure to look and see if we have that here. We often see whole milk and 2% milk outside of the less common blends and flavours.

We have goat's milk where I am but we absolutely do not have that level of variety. I'm lucky to find whole goat milk but I do enjoy that as well. Has anyone made recipes with different sorts of milks? I've made a lot of pastries this way & it's amazing what a milk change can accomplish in taste of the overall end result.

If I'm drinking milk, I tend to drink buttermilk which has 1 or 2% fat. The sourness was a bit of an acquired taste at first, but have got used to it now.

Half and half or 1%. I don't like whole milk because it's too fat and feels weird. However, skimmed milk with no fat is too thin and loses too much of the original vitamins of the milk. So I like it in the middle!

I used to be a semi-skimmed milk (1.5%) fan myself, but considering that I stopped drinking milk almost completely, I figured that I should drink whole whenever I do decide to drink (which is rarely). However, from what I've heard, if you're trying to lose weight and can't drop milk, you should go for 0.1% or 1%.

Back
Top Bottom