How Much Time Do You Spend In The Kitchen?

I make 3 meals per day for three adults, every day. Plus a snack most days and then extras here and there, such a breads, desserts, soups/stews for the freezer.
Hard to say how long everything takes me, but let's just say that the majority of my day is in the kitchen.
I have my personal desk set-up next to the kitchen with my laptop and so forth.
I live in my apron, all day.

The more I think about the question the harder it is to answer. The thing is, I have a very small kitchen. Standing room only for one person really. So, although I do a lot of cooking, I don't stand around in the kitchen. For example, I made a vegetable soup/stew this morning. I chopped leeks and carrots and put them in a pan with some butter over a low heat. Maybe that took 5 mins in all? Went back to front room and computer, watched TV etc. Checked the pan a few times (a matter of seconds simply to turn the vegetables a bit until the leeks were softened). Added some thyme, turmeric and red lentils plus some grated garlic and water - that took only a few minutes. Allowed to simmer while I went back into the front room. Checked occasionally and adjusted seasoning before serving.

Its really difficult to add all this up but its not a lot of time, I think. Possibly 15 to 20 minutes minutes in all actually spent in the kitchen and the rest of the time in another room on the computer, watching TV or making notes (I make a lot of notes about recipe ideas). I'd need to use a stop watch or something to record the actual time spent in the kitchen.

So, although I do a lot of cooking, I don't stand around in the kitchen.
I'm the opposite. I end up hanging around in the kitchen, because I know I'm going to be back there anyway.

During the workweek, I cover the last two hours of the workday (4PM-6PM), and that's also prime cooking time, so I bring my work laptop into the kitchen and set it up there, just to keep an eye on things while I'm cooking. Otherwise, I'm in the living room (aka "my office") for most of the day.

Weekends, I'm in the kitchen really most of the day, if I'm home, in a constant cycle of prepping, cooking, and cleaning.

I would say 2-3 hours a day. I am usually not home but have been working from home. Others tend to occupy the kitchen making me not want to enter it. I go in, clean, wash and/or place dishes in the dishwasher and will do a dinner meal prep a few times per week. One thing my family needs to work on is cleanup. I am talking about the stove, counters, sink, kitchen table. They're usually pretty good with the dishes. I need to yell LOUDER.

Back
Top Bottom