How often do you eat lettuce?

There was this weird trend here in the states a few years ago of something called a wedge salad. It was simply a quarter of a head of iceberg lettuce, a large wedge essentially, that is then doused in salad cream and crumbled bleu cheese. That's it! Just a large chunk of relatively flavorless lettuce and bleu cheese dressing. It was a big thing in steakhouses here, I guess because it is manly to have to use a steak knife on a salad.

Just weird.
lol..I remember going to a house party and the host grilled these big quarters of lettuce for everybody to serve along side of the steak...lol...almost every one was left untouched.We laughed about it for weeks after..

as far as lettuce goes around here, we eat it a few times a week in salads, mainly..spring mixes, mesclun, or just leaf..Sometimes having it as the vegetable portion of the meal. I've been trying to cut down on carbs so we have increased the salad consumption because we eat less, potatoes, rice and pasta...

Roasted lettuce is delicious though. I made this recently:

DSCF3159.jpg

That looks good..I wasn't saying that grilled lettuce isn't appealing...but a huge chunk on it's own can be unappealing...

That looks good..I wasn't saying that grilled lettuce isn't appealing...but a huge chunk on it's own can be unappealing...
Well yes. I uses cos hearts. Iceberg is an interesting lettuce. It has very little taste but it does stay very crisp and keeps very well. It has a very bad press in the UK but people still buy it. I rather like it in its own way. But not in a huge wedge!

Back
Top Bottom