How often do you eat out?

Parking around Chinatowns a killer. A real killer.

Russ

I lived in Sydney for 25 years before moving over the Blue Mountains almost 19 years ago.

I’ve driven in the CBD exactly 4 times and have been a passenger in there about the same number - not counting taxi/uber. 2 times I had parking included at my hotel and my cousins wedding which was on the top floor of the Westfield complex at Sky Phoenix had valet parking included.

When I lived in Sydney I never lived further than a 5-7 min walk from a train station - I didn’t bother to get a drivers licence and now I drive to my nearest town and leave our old sedan parked at Woolworths as they lock up overnight and it’s free parking. It is 3 hours by train to Sydney Central on a beautiful clean climate controlled train. Costs $7.50 each way. Fuel would cost $25 each way & its roughly the same drive time.

Last time in Sydney we stayed at a place about 2 mins walk to c town. When checking in the guy said car parking was $80 for the day. Only stayed one day then moved to manly, my fave spot in Sydney. Great bars there.

Russ

Last time in Sydney we stayed at a place about 2 mins walk to c town. When checking in the guy said car parking was $80 for the day. Only stayed one day then moved to manly, my fave spot in Sydney. Great bars there.

Russ

I've only been to Sydney once in my life (for one day). Stayed in a hotel in Manley Beach.

Hope you got the motel.......without pigeons roosting on the roof,lol. Woke us early first time.

I cannot remember that much about it. I arrived one day (London via Singapore) about mid morning. Caught up with our JV partners for an afternoon meeting. They deposited me in the hotel around 19:00 with an early morning call to accommodate a 8:00 am flight to Perth. I was in plenty of time to make the flight but when I arrived at the airport I was confronted by a baggage handler's strike and an eight hour delay.

Not a good day.

t is 3 hours by train to Sydney Central on a beautiful clean climate controlled train. Costs $7.50 each way.

Blimey - that is cheap. My partner recently travelled to Sunderland - from London which is a similar length journey that costs approx. AUS $180 return!

When I was travelling around Asia working I would book the overnight first class sleeper to Bangkok (450 km - 20 quid then). It arrived at 06:00 which was ideal for most of the short haul flights. It's still roughly the same price now in Baht although the deteriorating exchange rate would make it the equivalent of 25 quid.

Once in awhile. I ate out more often when I worked, for convenience, and because I got home late to start dinner. New restaurants were also an adventure, experience new foods, and entertainment & hooking up with friends, on occasion.

There are some that I really enjoyed, and are no longer around, i.e.

Victoria Station at Universal Studios. You dined in Railway cars. Loved the decor. Mostly Steak & Seafood.

Killer Shrimp. The one near me only made their signature killer shrimp dish. It was shrimp in a bowl with broth, and you dip your bread in the bowl to sop up the juices. You could choose rice or pasta for your dish. There are some copycat recipes online.

An Indian place I loved, but only went to on special occasions was dar maghreb. Moroccan cuisine. You sat on the floor on pillows, and ate food with your hands. Wasn't too crazy about that but, the bastilla pie was to die for. A chicken pie with raisins, almonds, with saffron etc., topped with powdered sugar.

I worked with a friend who seemed to know about every new restaurant that opened, as well as the the best neighborhood places to go. It was always a new culinary adventure.

Blimey - that is cheap. My partner recently travelled to Sunderland - from London which is a similar length journey that costs approx. AUS $180 return!

Yes. We are still classed as part of the Sydney rail network. It’s about 3 hours to the end of the line in each direction

It’s only just over 3 hours to travel by train from Sydney to Canberra but much more expensive - the train has food available & a first class carriage, it would also count as interstate travel.

I can't remember ever going to an Indian Restaurant until after I returned from India and tasting the real stuff (mid 80s).

I remember the Maurya Hotel in New Delhi (now called The Taj Mahal I think) had an excellent restaurant on the ground floor called the Bukhara. Very up-market although unless specifically asked for you were not provided with eating utensils. Some 15 years later I came across the Bukhara Indian Restaurant in Bangkok so I had to try it. Chatting to the manager after an excellent, albeit pricey, meal he asked what had attracted us to the place. I told him about my experiences in New Delhi and discovered that he used to be a chef there, hence the name given to the Bangkok restaurant.

When I lived in the Shangri-La Hotel in Kuala Lumpur, I invariably ate "out" in one of the hotel restaurants or a restaurant close by. However, I sometimes fancied an alternative and prepared sandwiches in my room. I was walking one day through the reception area with a baguette obtained from the hotel bakery and the Manager saw me. "What are you up to?", he asked. I told him that I was about to make a sandwich in my room. "Why don't you ask the bakery to make one for you?". "Because they don't have any ham", I replied. "Oh dear; don't let Fauziah (the room cleaning supervisor on my floor) know that you are keeping ham in your minibar!"

Note: my minibar was rarely checked as the second day I was there I asked the supervisor to remove all the contents of the minibar and to not replenish it. I would purchase any beer, etc. from the supermarket next door at 20% of the price. This almost backfired on me three months later on my first check-out - the second item on my bill was the cost of the complete minibar contents.

Back
Top Bottom