How often do you eat out?

So you are in the strange position where it would actually be cheaper to eat out all the time! Does the average Thai person do much cooking at home?

In the remote villages, yes. But generally Thais who live near towns buy from outside. My wife has just now come back from the market with plastic bags containing cooked bamboo soupy sort of stuff and noodles and dips. Whole lot cost no more than 8 bob.

bamboo soup s.jpg

She'd already eaten some.

[Edit: แกงส้มใต้ (Kængsum)]

Last edited:
We eat out maybe once a month with my mother in law - usually because we've taken her somewhere and its too late to cook, but we always tend to try to vary where we eat to try new things and new places. On special occasions like birthdays we'll usually go out for a nice meal, but apart from that we don't really eat out a lot because it can get rather expensive. Even on holiday we try to only eat out once per week.

We're very lucky that we're spoiled for decent restaurants around here - as well as the nice Italian mentioned by @jennyb (which I also think is pretty good, though its in the next town to us so we have to drive) we also have Nepalese, Indian, Italian, Thai, British, French, Chinese and of course Pub grub...ranging from the cheap and cheerful to somewhat more expensive. We do have a few of the usual chains (Pizza Express, Prezzo, Ask) but actually most of the restaurants around here are independents :okay: Sometimes I think there are almost as many restaurants on the high street as there are shops! The only thing I think we're missing is a good Spanish restaurant.

Our favourites in town are one of the Nepalese restaurants and the wine & French cheese bar. On the edge of town we like a local pub that is what I guess you'd describe as a "gastro-pub" (not that anyone really uses that descriptor any more), also a pub that has recently re-opened as a Thai restaurant (very limited menu, but lovely), and a couple of pubs owned by an Italian family who do what I'd describe as a fusion between British and Italian (I've also heard rumours that they've taken over a restaurant in town too!).

We eat out maybe once a month with my mother in law - usually because we've taken her somewhere and its too late to cook, but we always tend to try to vary where we eat to try new things and new places. On special occasions like birthdays we'll usually go out for a nice meal, but apart from that we don't really eat out a lot because it can get rather expensive. Even on holiday we try to only eat out once per week.

We're very lucky that we're spoiled for decent restaurants around here - as well as the nice Italian mentioned by @jennyb (which I also think is pretty good, though its in the next town to us so we have to drive) we also have Nepalese, Indian, Italian, Thai, British, French, Chinese and of course Pub grub...ranging from the cheap and cheerful to somewhat more expensive. We do have a few of the usual chains (Pizza Express, Prezzo, Ask) but actually most of the restaurants around here are independents :okay: Sometimes I think there are almost as many restaurants on the high street as there are shops! The only thing I think we're missing is a good Spanish restaurant.

Our favourites in town are one of the Nepalese restaurants and the wine & French cheese bar. On the edge of town we like a local pub that is what I guess you'd describe as a "gastro-pub" (not that anyone really uses that descriptor any more), also a pub that has recently re-opened as a Thai restaurant (very limited menu, but lovely), and a couple of pubs owned by an Italian family who do what I'd describe as a fusion between British and Italian (I've also heard rumours that they've taken over a restaurant in town too!).

It sounds as if you are lucky. There are plenty of places to eat in Maidstone but they are mostly chains. There is a brilliant independent French restaurant owned by a French couple. Husband is the chef and wife makes the patisseries. www.fredericbistro.com

Now these days never which is kind of funny. I never goto fastfood but I use to stop by Subway here and there or goto like Apple Bees with friends or somewhere with a group to eat. Even if I was with friends we still wouldnt go out to eat unless it was some VIP thing that was private.

I will end up making my own food or if I was with friends we did our own little thing and did a BBQ or something at park or beach.

Not often because there aren't really any good ones around. Our favorite Italian restaurant is about 300 miles away. No pizza on the menu. For take out pizza the local Sicilian Oven (wood burning ovens) or Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza. I will not eat at any local seafood places. I do a much better job at home and I'm also a seafood snob.

Not often because there aren't really any good ones around. Our favorite Italian restaurant is about 300 miles away. No pizza on the menu. For take out pizza the local Sicilian Oven (wood burning ovens) or Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza. I will not eat at any local seafood places. I do a much better job at home and I'm also a seafood snob.

Maidstone isn't brilliant for restaurants (most are chains). But when I stay with my friend in Saffron Walden we eat out sometimes because Cambridge has some good restaurants - there is also Jamie Oliver's parents pub nearby (where he grew up) which is very good. Best of all is a newly Michelin starred restaurant The Flitch nearby in Little Dunmow which does a £25 ($32) 3 course lunch menu. Totally brilliant and Chef Tim Allen is there to chat to. I have some images which I ought to download.

Growing up we never went out, I think I was about 18 or 19 before I went to a nice restaurant. Think I've mentioned this before but I worked hard so we used to go out every Sunday night for dinner. Later when I was a rep I used to take customers out about 4 times during the week. I used to run to keep trim then. Then working for myself we ate out about 2 to 3 times a week. Our kids grew up earring out and are great food critics. Nowadays we are in a dinner club. We started it just after the earthquakes here, to support the wee restaurant that were struggling. About 12 of us eat out every month. And about twice a week with the wife now. I cook about 2 really nice meals as well for us during the week.

Russ

Me too! And then it was an Indian restaurant - the beginning of a love affair...

I can't remember ever going to an Indian Restaurant until after I returned from India and tasting the real stuff (mid 80s).

I go through stages of eating out regularly then not eating out at all for a while.

Last meal out was in the dining room of a resort I stayed in with friends between Xmas & NY. The weekend away included a discounted dinner for 2nif the bill topped $100. Was very easy to do without even a glass of wine.

I was supposed to lunch with a friend/ex-co-worker tomorrow but she can’t get her normal lunch hour as she needs to make up time this week so we’ve moved it to a couple of weeks from now.

One of the best Chinese cuisine restaurants in Sydney (that’s saying a lot!) ~ Billy Kwong ~ has announced they are closing. I’ve made a reservation to eat lunch there before they go.

There is a foodie night market event coming up & a friend has bought us tickets.

I go through stages of eating out regularly then not eating out at all for a while.

Last meal out was in the dining room of a resort I stayed in with friends between Xmas & NY. The weekend away included a discounted dinner for 2nif the bill topped $100. Was very easy to do without even a glass of wine.

I was supposed to lunch with a friend/ex-co-worker tomorrow but she can’t get her normal lunch hour as she needs to make up time this week so we’ve moved it to a couple of weeks from now.

One of the best Chinese cuisine restaurants in Sydney (that’s saying a lot!) ~ Billy Kwong ~ has announced they are closing. I’ve made a reservation to eat lunch there before they go.

There is a foodie night market event coming up & a friend has bought us tickets.

Love it around Chinatown. Great Chinese around Sydney.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom