How often do you have to cook a big meal?

I am not the cook in the house (my mom is) but I still like to make a steak or a soup at times. Do you cook all the time or only when you have the time and the will? Also, are you the best cook in your house?

I am the best cook in the house hands down. It cannot be denied or disputed:unsure:. While I make that boast, sometimes being the best literally puts you in the "hot" seat. It often means you are expected to cook every meal and that's been happening a lot for a long time now.

How often do I cook a big meal? Big is relative but my biggest meal outside of having guest is usually Sunday. Some Sundays I will prepare as many as eight dishes for four people and whoever might stop by. In my country Sunday is the day to go all out.

It's just me and my boyfriend so I only ever have to cook for two. I do most of the cooking now, but he does cook as well and insists he's the better cook but if that were true he'd be doing most of the cooking sooo... I'm definitely better :)

Probably 1-2 times a year. I live alone, so there is no need on a regular basis. But on Thanksgiving and Christmas, I typically contribute a few different dishes.

I don't really find "big" meals to be all that challenging unless you are really going all out with each component of the meal. In most cases it simply means spending some time making the main dish, then towards the very end throwing together a few quick side dishes and a salad & desert. A salad takes minutes to throw together, especially if you are using the bagged and chopped lettuce. Side dishes can also be done in minutes as well. How hard is it to scrub and prick some potatoes to throw in the oven for baked potatoes? Then perhaps chop up some toppings for them. Steamed veggies? Those also only take minutes, even if you are buying and prepping them fresh. Just steam them, and toss with some butter/olive oil, fresh herbs and season.

Plus, a lot of main dishes that are slow roasted in the oven, require little to no supervision while cooking. You just throw them in the oven and let the slow roasting work it's magic. A simple beef or pork pot roast can be assembled in minutes. I don't even bother browning them first in a frying pan - I just remove the cover on the meat during the last hour or 30 minutes of cooking to let the exterior brown and crisp.

Plus there are many things such as mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravies and such which can be made well in advance - so you aren't scrambling all at once.

Even though a proper meal is prepared at home everyday it has become more of a custom for me to cook a big meal every Sunday and this is something that i really look forward to doing...we usually sit as a family on Saturday evenings and decide what we'd be cooking on Sundays.

Back
Top Bottom