How often do you have to cook a big meal?

Takedon

Veteran
Local time
10:40 PM
I am not the cook in the house (my mom is) but I still like to make a steak or a soup at times. Do you cook all the time or only when you have the time and the will? Also, are you the best cook in your house?

I make my family's meals just about everyday. I often enjoy it but there are times I need a break. I rather grill out and be done with it.

I live alone so I really don't have the need to cook large meals. However I will cook a big helping of something and eat that for three or four days.

Very rarely now.

Since I was stricken & diagnosed with heart failure in '06, I haven't cooked big dinners that much.

Too much prepwork, too much cooking, too much leftover food to have to put in the fridge, too much fighting to make space in the fridge for all that food and my worst pet peeve is the tedious cleanup of the pots, pans and dinnerware, stove, table and whatever else is left.

To much work! I just don't have the strength to do that any more, and standing too long makes my legs hurt! So now, I just cook simple meals - meat, starch and a vegetable. Once in a while, I might do a little something extra, like a desert or an extra side dish or both.

Also, I'm trying to lose some weight, so those big fat meals would make it that much harder to lose weight! :wink:

Last edited:
My husband is usually the one that cooks. I barley ever cook because we live with his grandmother at the moment and I am not comfortable using someone else's kitchen. I have cooked a few times and they were 5 course meals.

I very rarely have the chance to cook a big meal. 99% of the time I either eat at work or go over to have dinner with a family member in which case they do the cooking most of the time. If I do cook something it's usually just for myself.

Also, it is just me one, so all that hard core cooking is no good unless I'm having friends or family over. :eek:

I cook six days out of seven as my partner usually makes one meal a week. I am the best cook in the house. we have four children, so every meal is a big meal really. Luckily, I love cooking most of the tie. It is only when I am really tired that I can't be bothered.

I don't cook big meals that often because I usually just cook for myself. Once in a while I will have a few friends over and then I'd want to make enough food for everyone but most of the time all that's needed is a light meal or snacks because we usually just order in.

I am not the cook in the house (my mom is) but I still like to make a steak or a soup at times. Do you cook all the time or only when you have the time and the will? Also, are you the best cook in your house?
I am the main cook in the house :) I try and cook a big meal about 4 nights a week if I can. It's really important to me that my whole family enjoys dinner together. There are night though that it just isn't possible. My boys take Tae Kwon Do 2 nights a week and we have church one night during the week so there isn't enough time to cook a big meal so we just do frozen. Occasionally we have pizza or go out to eat so that takes up the other nights. :)

I really enjoy cooking and making meals for my family so I take pride in it. :)
Danyel :)

I only cook for my family every once in a while because my mom is the one who cooks for us, too. Yesterday, we had a family reunion, but my mom was away. I ended up being the one to cook the dish we brought to the party. I cooked 3 kilograms of chicken for 30 people. It was a success though. :D They liked the chicken wings asado I made.

I try to make well rounded meals every night, these aren't always big, and would say I succeed about 4-5 nights a week. The other 2 or 3 nights tend to be take out or restaurants. I live with my boyfriend now and he's a great cook but doesn't ever really feel like cooking so most of the responsibility falls on me. I think I do a pretty good job but like with a lot of things there are definitely some dishes I can improve on.

In my house im the cook. My fiance can not make anything outside the microwave. So I do all the cooking. I enjoy cooking. I make big dinners every night and breakfast. I make sandwiches and chips for lunch. But for breakfast I make pancakes eggs grits bacon and sliced fruit. For dinner I like making grilled chicken Or steak and grilled veggies. With mash potatoes and gravy. With a cup of minute maid and cheesecake for dessert. I love cooking everyday it has became a big habit:). But I love hearing that he enjoys my food and making him happy. Although I have to make veggies different ways to get him to eat his veggies,

Several times a week, but for the most part we all just snack healthy during the day. I have three boy ages 8,6, and 4 so I have no choice but to cook all the time, and yes I am the best cook in the house.

I cooked a slightly larger than normal dinner on Sunday. The Green Bean Casserole was the slight addition to the meal. Mainly because it was my first time ever making it, and I wanted to try it! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom