How often do you misplace things while you’re trying to cook?

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
6:08 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
Before I get into my topic, I have two questions: why can’t I edit the subject line, and why can’t I delete my post? I realized after I posted that my voice to text made the word “misplace” appear as “miss place”, and I can’t do anything about it. As someone who graduated from college with an English language major, this is disgraceful for me.

Anyway...

As I try for the fifth time now to find my phone, I’m wondering this. If you’re one of these people that creates mise en place every time you create a recipe, I’m impressed. But, I’m not you.

When I make anything, I get all the ingredients out that I need, I get my cutting board, I get my knife, I get my measuring cups, and I still constantly misplace things in the whirling dervish that I become. I always end up setting the spatula down somewhere, and forgetting where I put it.

Maybe it’s my ridiculous late start times, but I’m guessing not everybody is completely organized, or that things go flawlessly, when they’re preparing a dish.

Before I get into my topic, I have two questions: why can’t I edit the subject line, and why can’t I delete my post? I realized after I posted that my voice to text made the word “misplace” appear as “miss place”, and I can’t do anything about it. As someone who graduated from college with an English language major, this is disgraceful for me.

Anyway...

As I try for the fifth time now to find my phone, I’m wondering this. If you’re one of these people that creates mise en place every time you create a recipe, I’m impressed. But, I’m not you.

When I make anything, I get all the ingredients out that I need, I get my cutting board, I get my knife, I get my measuring cups, and I still constantly misplace things in the whirling dervish that I become. I always end up setting the spatula down somewhere, and forgetting where I put it.

Maybe it’s my ridiculous late start times, but I’m guessing not everybody is completely organized, or that things go flawlessly, when they’re preparing a dish.

Mine normally is pretty good, ingredients out then start. I get the odd hiccup,but hey, I'm an amateur.

Russ

I have to use mise en place. If I don't, I will encounter a "whirling dervish" experience during my cook.

I also have trained myself, like training a dog, to always put my cooking gear in the same place after washing. If I suddenly realize I need another stirring spoon, I know where it is.

BTW, I keep my wallet and keys in the same place, all the time, too. I have to, or I will forget where I put them. However, my phone gets lost in the house or left in the car all the time. I like to mess with my dog, and ask him what he did with my phone. :D Then I go around the house yelling, "Hey SIRI." :scratchhead:

Give mise en place a try. It sure took a lot of stress (and panic) out of my cooking.

CD

why can’t I edit the subject line, and why can’t I delete my post?

I've corrected the typo. The way to correct a thread title is to click on 'Thread Tools' (top right of the post) and then 'edit thread'.

I think the reason you can't delete it is because someone replied. If the thread starter is deleted the whole thread is deleted so
then their reply would be removed. And obviously members can't be allowed to delete other members posts.

Last edited:
Oh, that's absolutely me, and I'm big on mise en place.

For some reason, even if I start a recipe with plenty of time, there's a clock in my head that goes off as soon as I chop the first veg and a voice that says, "Hurry! You're falling behind! Hurry up!" To someone outside the kitchen looking in, it appears that I'm the sole contestant on one of those timed cooking shows.

When I'm cooking, as soon as I start getting scatterbrained (which is early on in the process), I have to stop and take a deep breath or ten and tell myself to relax, or I'm a shambles by the end. I can actually get out of breath, lightheaded, and winded while cooking, like I've run a race if I'm not careful.

Um,when I post many of my recipes, I'm including in the Prep Time that amount of time I need to FIND the ingredients I know I have... Um, sometimes when they're out on the counter...

Um,when I post many of my recipes, I'm including in the Prep Time that amount of time I need to FIND the ingredients I know I have... Um, sometimes when they're out on the counter...
:laugh:

My phone goes missing because, like most, it's got a black case, and I have a dark counter. That, and it keeps ending up under bags of mint or lids of containers. Since when is that a smart phone??

Sounds to me like you have too big of a kitchen. lol

Back
Top Bottom