How Often Does the Same Dish Appear in Your Meal Rotation?

CraigC

Guru
Local time
5:26 PM
For us, we generally don't have the same dinner meal in a 2 month period.

Except for breakfasts, I don't make a lot of the same meals twice. There are some things, like the skillet spaghetti I like, and the shepherd's pie recipe I like.

Even if I'm making the same dish, like meatloaf, I'm probably using a different recipe every time.

Almost never - but then I don't have a meal rotation. Its invention every day round here! I do cook things twice sometimes to double test that the 'invention' works, though. I would also cook something on request if someone asked.

Summer months hardly ever. Winter is a different story.. things like spaghett / meatloaf/ Hamburg gravy & mashed are usually served twice a month. As I still work, they are easy to make ahead of time and reheat on weeknights as it's already dark outside when I get home from work. I am one of those people affected by lack of sun light, never diagnosed as such - I just know the less daylight hours have a tendency to slow my roll and sometimes put me in a "funk".

I usually ask the wife the night before what she feels like? Normally a full meal then something lighter the next day. Not uncommon to have nachos every two weeks, chicken two or three times a week. I don't think too far ahead. Cheese on toast about once a week, quick and easy.

Russ

I definitely have some classics I fall back on, as a common line cook you also often only cook the dishes on the menu that correspond with your station and creativity is something often only the head chef is allowed. So pretty much during my cooking life I've stuck to recipes and I still stick by those I love.

However, my collection of recipes I rotate is rather larger, and at least once a week I try something new. So there is also always dishes coming and going in my rotation, what I cook now is different from 5 years ago.
Some classics I always do the same way are chicken tikka massala, chicken satay, roasted potatoes, a few cakes and tarts and pasta dishes.
During the week I always cook at least one curry, a pasta dish, a potato dish and a new dish . That still leaves three days but those get filled with either easy foods because I need rest, or rotation recipes, or when I feel particularly good experiments.

During the week I always cook at least one curry, a pasta dish, a potato dish and a new dish . That still leaves three days but those get filled with either easy foods because I need rest, or rotation recipes, or when I feel particularly good experiments.
Usually, I approach my weekly menu as one beef, one chicken, one pork, one pasta, one "big" salad, one "big" breakfast, and one dessert.

I usually ask the wife the night before what she feels like? Normally a full meal then something lighter the next day. Not uncommon to have nachos every two weeks, chicken two or three times a week. I don't think too far ahead. Cheese on toast about once a week, quick and easy.

Russ

Not talking about the same ingredients, but the same dish. We often have chicken, beef, pork, seafood, etc. several times a week, but prepared in different dishes.

Apart from coffee (not a proper dish but it’s something I have at least 4 time a day everyday) the main dish that appears quite often is stir-fried aubergine, at least 3 times a week - but also with variations like griddled or stuffed, in sauce for pasta.
And marsala chicken.

Not talking about the same ingredients, but the same dish. We often have chicken, beef, pork, seafood, etc. several times a week, but prepared in different dishes.

My wife hates seafood, bread and other stuff I like. I try to find a happy medium. The battles hard!!

Russ

My wife hates seafood, bread and other stuff I like. I try to find a happy medium. The battles hard!!

Russ
We solved that by getting the stuff she likes, mainly seafood, when we go out.

I'll make some stuff just for her, like sautéed spinach and mushrooms, but there's never to be seafood inside this house. Ever. :stop:

We solved that by getting the stuff she likes, mainly seafood, when we go out.

I'll make some stuff just for her, like sautéed spinach and mushrooms, but there's never to be seafood inside this house. Ever. :stop:

I have crays in the freezer whole and tails only. I love making a crayfish sammich when wife's out or at work. She can still smell it when she gets home. I'm the only one that likes seafood. My wife surprised me a few months ago, she actually bought me a store bought shrimp cocktail. Securely sealed. I had it on the decking outside.

Russ

I eat a lot of tacos. Really easy to make, and easy to portion for a single guy. You can also make them a variety of ways, but they are still tacos.

Also good for leftover meats.

CD

Thinking about this, I usually cook (ready-made) oven chips once or twice a week. Not usually for me but for my partner to accompany something else I've made. For me its eggs that appear a lot. Boiled or fried, mainly.

Back
Top Bottom