How to become a better cook?

HornedDemoN

Veteran
Local time
12:40 PM
Cooking has always been a puzzling area for me, mostly because I always relied on mother/grandmother to cook something for me. But now I realize that having the ability to cook is something crucial for any human being and quite important if you value your health and well-being in general.

What would you say is the best way to get better at cooking? Sure, I know the answer, "just cook stuff, dummy", but where would one start to get better at it?

Start by thinking about what your really favourite dishes/foods are. Then pick a dish (not a really really complicated one!), look up a recipe (or ask the Forum for their recipes) and follow your chosen recipe to the letter. If you can do that and the result is good, then you'll gain confidence. So, lets begin, what are your top favourite dishes?

Cooking has always been a puzzling area for me, mostly because I always relied on mother/grandmother to cook something for me. But now I realize that having the ability to cook is something crucial for any human being and quite important if you value your health and well-being in general.

What would you say is the best way to get better at cooking? Sure, I know the answer, "just cook stuff, dummy", but where would one start to get better at it?

Another tip I have, is to learn one or two basic techniques which form the basis of many, many dishes. For example:
  • Basic Tomato Sauce (as used for pasta dishes)
  • Bechamel sauce (white sauce) as used as a basis for cheese sauce and many other sauces.
  • Caramelised onions - these are used in lots of recipes for casseroles, curries etc.
If you learn how to make tomato sauce then you will be able to make literally hundreds of dishes with comparative ease.
Oh, and make sure you have good tools. A really good non-stick frying pan (I can't stress this enough - nothing is more disheartening than food sticking and burning), a really sharp knife a a few saucepans, a casserole dish and a roasting tin/dish would be the most basic requirements. You no doubt have most of those.

You can look up some really simple recipes, don't do anything complicated at first. When following the recipe, take your time at it. After a while, you will get better at it and become faster. When you have mastered the simple dishes, then you can try something a little more involved.

Another good idea would be to join a cooking class where you would be learning along with others, and each one of you would be able to help the other.

I think watching cooking shows can be helpful, especially those which prepare simple recipes directed towards the beginning home cook. Also, I would suggest investing in a good general purpose cookbook. I don't know your location, but in the U.S., Betty Crocker and Good Housekeeping put out excellent ones.

Back
Top Bottom