How to caramelise onions without fat

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:42 PM
You might ask 'why should I want to caramelise onions without fat?'. There is probably only one reason and that is to save calories, which for me is a perpetual quest. Every tablespoon of oil has around 120 calories so if I can make something without oil and without sacrificing taste, then I will. Onions contain natural sugar which will cause the caramelisation. You need a good non stick pan with a lid and an hour to spare (on & off). Bear in mind that to caramelise onions in oil takes around 45 mins in any case. Its never going to be a fast process.

Slice the onions. They don't need to be very finely sliced. Add them to a dry pan and turn the heat to medium/low. Stir the onions occasionally with a wooden spoon until they start to colour very slightly. This will take about 5 minutes.

Turn the heat to low and continue to cook stirring occasionally until the onions start to become slightly golden. This well take about another 10 minutes:

At this point you may find you need to add a little water to the pan to prevent sticking. Cook on low for another 10 minutes stirring occasionally adding water as needed. The onions should now be looking far more golden.

Add a lid to the pan. Keep cooking on low stirring occasionally and adding a little water as needed, for another 30 minutes. The onions should now be ready:

Back
Top Bottom