How to Clean Your Outdoor Grill

MyDigitalpoint

Veteran
Local time
3:00 PM
Website
epage.pro
Outdoor grilling is one of summertime's delights. Even basic foods seem to taste better when cooked outdoors. Whether the grill of choice is charcoal or gas, these tips will help keep it in peak performance. Begin by checking the grill manufacturer's instructions for specific cleaning requirements.

Rust is the major enemy of charcoal grills --- and the major cause of rust is failing to clean out the ashes regularly. To do this, turn off the grill, make sure it's completely cool. Then, remove the grates from inside the grill. If there's no ash catcher underneath the bowl, use a garden trowel to scoop out the ashes.

If the grill has an ash catcher, be sure to clean it, too, once the ashes are removed. Carefully discard ashes in a plastic trash bag. Otherwise, they will fly all over, covering everything (including yourself) with soot.

Clean the grate and the inside of the grill with a spray-on over cleaner. Check the label to make sure the cleaning product is safe for both these surfaces, and follow the grill manufacturer's use instructions. Let the cleaner sit long enough to soften the accumulated grease and grime. Then, wipe the cleaner off with paper towels. Follow by washing with a hand dishwashing detergent and water. Clean the outside of the grill, too, using a warm detergent and water solution and a non-abrasive cloth. Rinse and wipe dry.

Gas grills should be checked to make sure there are no leaks or blockages. Make sure the grill is turned off and completely cool. Then, inspect the burner and gas supply tubes for spider webs, grease build-up, rusted areas --- anything that would slow down the gas flow. Clean these areas following the grill manufacturer's cleaning instructions.

Clean a gas grill after every use by turning the grill on "high" and letting it "cook" for 10 to 15 minutes with the lid closed. Turn off the grill and let it cool slightly. Then, loosen the residue with a brass bristle brush. Once the grill is completely cool, wipe the inside and outside surfaces with a soft cloth and warm, soapy water. Rinse and wipe dry. Good maintenance will extend the life and working of the grill.

Source: Lorene Bartos, UNL Extension Educator at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln

Thanks for those tips and I think it's good for people to read if they are unsure about how to actually clean their BBQ or grill.

After every BBQ we always make sure to clean our grill. It seems like a pain at the time but it's worth it when you have your next BBQ. One of my friend's never ever cleans her BBQ grill and they often cook on there and it's disgusting because it's just left outside in winter months and all the rain and dirt from the gutter overflows and spills into it. Eurgh, I can't stand things like that.

How often do you clean your grill?

I don't have to worry about it. Hubby is the grill master and he gets that task. I have to worry about the stove and oven inside.

I don't have to worry about it. Hubby is the grill master and he gets that task. I have to worry about the stove and oven inside.

Ooh how lovely :P haha, I always feel like I should clean it though because my boyfriend is always the one who ends up cooking everything. It's only fair I tidy after. And I don't have to worry about my oven because it cleans itself. It is the best oven ever, as you can imagine.

Thanks for those tips and I think it's good for people to read if they are unsure about how to actually clean their BBQ or grill.

After every BBQ we always make sure to clean our grill. It seems like a pain at the time but it's worth it when you have your next BBQ. One of my friend's never ever cleans her BBQ grill and they often cook on there and it's disgusting because it's just left outside in winter months and all the rain and dirt from the gutter overflows and spills into it. Eurgh, I can't stand things like that.

How often do you clean your grill?

You may (or may not) like this then.............:whistling:

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/how-often-do-you-clean-your-grill.558/

Ooh how lovely :P haha, I always feel like I should clean it though because my boyfriend is always the one who ends up cooking everything. It's only fair I tidy after. And I don't have to worry about my oven because it cleans itself. It is the best oven ever, as you can imagine.

LOL nope pipps If I tried to mess with his grill he would probably get fussy about it. I stay away from the grill.

haha, my boyfriend use to be like 'I should do all the grilling' but then I actually had to do it once and I cooked everything better than him so now I do them :P mwahaha.

Back
Top Bottom