How to cook the perfect soft boiled egg

I think you misunderstood - I simply meant that any time I need to put something in boiling water on the hob, I boil the water in the kettle first and then pour the boiling water into a saucepan. Its much much quicker than boiling it on the hob.

Speed is of no concern to me really. And although gas is cheaper than electric, it's minimal. So I just boil the water in the pan. The resultant boiled egg differs not which ever way the water is boiled.

Speed is of no concern to me really. And although gas is cheaper than electric, it's minimal. So I just boil the water in the pan. The resultant boiled egg differs not which ever way the water is boiled.

OK - I thought you were saying that the last method takes longer so is more expensive. My hob takes about ten mins to boil water whereas the kettle is only a couple of mins.

Ok, I tried a new method, and I'm getting closer:

Now, that's not perfect, but it's closer. MrsTasty actually sent that one back, so I ate it. Hers was better cooked, though with just a bit of wet white in the bottom.

The method, straight from Betty Crocker:

Place eggs in a pan of cold water and heat to boiling as quickly as possible. As soon as they're boiling, remove from the heat, keep them covered, and let them sit 1-3 minutes, then into cold water for several seconds.

The egg above was a two-minute egg.

Ok, I tried a new method, and I'm getting closer:

Now, that's not perfect, but it's closer. MrsTasty actually sent that one back, so I ate it. Hers was better cooked, though with just a bit of wet white in the bottom.

The method, straight from Betty Crocker:

Place eggs in a pan of cold water and heat to boiling as quickly as possible. As soon as they're boiling, remove from the heat, keep them covered, and let them sit 1-3 minutes, then into cold water for several seconds.

The egg above was a two-minute egg.

I can't tell from the photo quite how runny that yolk is. My aim with a soft boiled egg is to get a completely runny yolk so that 'soldiers' can be dipped in to soak it up plus a semi set white with no 'clear bits'. If the yolk is semi-set then the soldiers only soak up a bit of yolk and you are left with sticky yolk that has to be eaten with a teaspoon.

I can't tell from the photo quite how runny that yolk is. My aim with a soft boiled egg is to get a completely runny yolk so that 'soldiers' can be dipped in to soak it up plus a semi set white with no 'clear bits'. If the yolk is semi-set then the soldiers only soak up a bit of yolk and you are left with sticky yolk that has to be eaten with a teaspoon.
The yolk was completely runny. Of what I'm looking for out of an egg, that was 98/100 - just needed the white set a bit more.

Now, you've brought up the subject of actually eating the egg. Once you've dipped your toast strips, how do you deal with the white? Do you just carve it out with the egg spoon and eat it on its own?

Also, with your runny yolks - many of your soft-boiled eggs show the yolk running down the side of the egg cup. I can't abide that at all with my egg, because I want every bit of the yolk. Is that just collateral damage from opening the egg and you're willing to sacrifice that, or is it mainly for a more picturesque photo?

My eating method - I top the egg with a spoon, big end up (sorry, Little Endians), hopefully just exposing the yolk. On goes a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

Then, being very careful, I use my spoon to cut out a piece of white, with a little puddle of yolk included, and I put the white on the toast, along with a drizzle of the yolk.

That usually gives me enough room with the egg, so that the next bit, I can just dip my toast, but as soon as I dip it, I scoop out another bit of white and put that on as well. I always want some white and some yolk together, and every bite gets a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

I've been toying with the idea of eating them peeled over toast flat on the plate, but I like the ritual of topping the egg and I like having a tiny spoon and an egg cup. :)

I've been toying with the idea of eating them peeled over toast flat on the plate, but I like the ritual of topping the egg and I like having a tiny spoon and an egg cup. :)

I often resort to that.

is it mainly for a more picturesque photo?

Yes.

My eating method - I top the egg with a spoon, big end up (sorry, Little Endians), hopefully just exposing the yolk. On goes a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

Always little end up as that has the most white. Surely you risk the egg yolk spilling over if you cut it on the big end?

Once you've dipped your toast strips, how do you deal with the white? Do you just carve it out with the egg spoon and eat it on its own?

Yes. Carve it out with a spoon. Lots of salt.

Then, being very careful, I use my spoon to cut out a piece of white, with a little puddle of yolk included, and I put the white on the toast, along with a drizzle of the yolk.

That usually gives me enough room with the egg, so that the next bit, I can just dip my toast, but as soon as I dip it, I scoop out another bit of white and put that on as well. I always want some white and some yolk together, and every bite gets a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

I'd be happy using your method too. I'm not super particular. Its the runny yolk that matters to me the most.

Back
Top Bottom