Recipe How to make corned beef from scratch

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:03 PM
We got this recipe/method from David Rosengarten way back when the Food Network had just started. He had a show called Taste. He also has a cookbook by the same name.

The last time I made it, I used a beef roast cut from a beef knuckle that weighed about 3 pounds. Cut the brine ingredients down to 1/4 of everything. I had seen Guinness used recently as part of a corned beef recipe, so I replaced part of the corning brine and part of the cooking liquid with Guinness. I also cooked the roast like a pot roast in the liquid for a total of about 2 hours, adding cabbage, carrots and potatoes in that order according to cooking times needed. The same show used Guinness in a sauce for the beef, along with mayo, Dijon mustard and horseradish, so I made that up too (recipe at bottom).

Corning Brine

One 12-pound whole brisket
4 quarts water
1 cup Kosher salt
1 teaspoon saltpeter or cure #1 pink salt (Prague powder)
5 bay leaves
7 cloves garlic, smashed
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons whole peppercorns
1 teaspoon allspice berries
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar

Add all ingredients to a large pot, except brisket and garlic. Bring to a boil and then allow to cool to room temperature. Place garlic and brisket in a large plastic, glass or good stainless container and add brine mixture. Place a plate or 2 on top to make sure brisket is entirely submerged. Cover and place in refrigerator for 3 weeks, turning brisket over after 1-1/2 weeks.

Remove meat from the brine and rinse. Cut off a small piece and cook. Taste. If too salty, soak for several hours in plain water.

Add to a steamer pot:

1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon cloves
2 teaspoons peppercorns
3 cloves garlic
1/8 cup salt

Add enough water to come just under the steamer basket. Place brisket in steamer and steam for about 3 hours until tender. Check water level from time to time so that it doesn't dry out. You want to keep the water temperature at about a high simmer so that it produces a nice amount of steam.

Sauce for beef

This is just a rough guess on the amounts because I tasted and adjusted as I was making it.

3/4 cup mayonnaise
1-1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp prepared horseradish
2-3 Tbsp Guinness
salt and pepper to taste

Mix thoroughly and allow to sit for about an hour to meld. Taste and adjust as necessary.

That sounds fantastic! I will have a go at this over the autumn. Is the steaming stage just for cooking the beef, or does the steam play another roll as well?

That sounds fantastic! I will have a go at this over the autumn. Is the steaming stage just for cooking the beef, or does the steam play another roll as well?

The steaming cooks the beef and you also don't lose as much beef flavor with steaming as you would with boiling. The best delis keep corned beef in a steamer and slice as sandwiches are ordered.

We got this recipe/method from David Rosengarten way back when the Food Network had just started. He had a show called Taste. He also has a cookbook by the same name.

The last time I made it, I used a beef roast cut from a beef knuckle that weighed about 3 pounds. Cut the brine ingredients down to 1/4 of everything. I had seen Guinness used recently as part of a corned beef recipe, so I replaced part of the corning brine and part of the cooking liquid with Guinness. I also cooked the roast like a pot roast in the liquid for a total of about 2 hours, adding cabbage, carrots and potatoes in that order according to cooking times needed. The same show used Guinness in a sauce for the beef, along with mayo, Dijon mustard and horseradish, so I made that up too (recipe at bottom).

Corning Brine

One 12-pound whole brisket
4 quarts water
1 cup Kosher salt
1 teaspoon saltpeter or cure #1 pink salt (Prague powder)
5 bay leaves
7 cloves garlic, smashed
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons whole peppercorns
1 teaspoon allspice berries
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar

Add all ingredients to a large pot, except brisket and garlic. Bring to a boil and then allow to cool to room temperature. Place garlic and brisket in a large plastic, glass or good stainless container and add brine mixture. Place a plate or 2 on top to make sure brisket is entirely submerged. Cover and place in refrigerator for 3 weeks, turning brisket over after 1-1/2 weeks.

Remove meat from the brine and rinse. Cut off a small piece and cook. Taste. If too salty, soak for several hours in plain water.

Add to a steamer pot:

1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon cloves
2 teaspoons peppercorns
3 cloves garlic
1/8 cup salt

Add enough water to come just under the steamer basket. Place brisket in steamer and steam for about 3 hours until tender. Check water level from time to time so that it doesn't dry out. You want to keep the water temperature at about a high simmer so that it produces a nice amount of steam.

Sauce for beef

This is just a rough guess on the amounts because I tasted and adjusted as I was making it.

3/4 cup mayonnaise
1-1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp prepared horseradish
2-3 Tbsp Guinness
salt and pepper to taste

Mix thoroughly and allow to sit for about an hour to meld. Taste and adjust as necessary.

Thanks so much, I don't know anybody that would take the time to make this, although I have a vague memory my nana may have made it One time I stayed with her? I need to find a piece of beef. I have everything else here.
Here I serve it with mustard sauce, colmans powder. Have you heard of anything like this with the meat??

1 egg mixed with 2 tablespoons flour 1 tablespoon sugar 2 teaspoons mustard powder and brine heated until it thickens. It really is a great addition tothe meat,and in a cold sammich. No recipe, that's from memory, I've made it that many times!!

Again many thanks.

Russ

Thanks so much, I don't know anybody that would take the time to make this, although I have a vague memory my nana may have made it One time I stayed with her? I need to find a piece of beef. I have everything else here.
Here I serve it with mustard sauce, colmans powder. Have you heard of anything like this with the meat??

1 egg mixed with 2 tablespoons flour 1 tablespoon sugar 2 teaspoons mustard powder and brine heated until it thickens. It really is a great addition tothe meat,and in a cold sammich. No recipe, that's from memory, I've made it that many times!!

Again many thanks.

Russ

We use Colman's quite a bit, but I prefer horseradish sauce on corned beef and prime rib. We also do a grilled chicken with a three mustard marinade and sauce (set aside marinade before the chicken). You might remember this.

Recipe - Mixed Mustards Grilled Chicken

Last edited:
Very impressive. I don't think I've ever brined longer than a few days, but this would really ensure that the brine sinks in. On the other hand, I'm not sure where I would find room for a 12 pound piece of beef. I'm with you, medtran49: a 3-4 pound cut is plenty big enough.

Back
Top Bottom