How to make creamy Mac and cheese

MrMajeika

Local time
1:00 AM
Looking to make a creamy Mac and cheese. Made it a few times in the past and it's nice but always feel I can do better. I've read various recipe ideas to make it creamier. A method I've come across is instead of making a roux with flour you coat the cheese in cornstarch which supposedly gives a smoother texture. Any thoughts on this? May I should add some cream or maybe just more cheese?

I've never really had a problem making a creamy cheese sauce - what method and ingredients do you use currently?

My method is to make a roux, then gradually add whole milk and then make sure to cook it for a good 10 mins or so to make sure the flour is well cooked out. Then, once the sauce is cooked and the right consistency I take it from the heat and add the grated cheese. I often use a mature cheddar (because I always have some in the fridge), but I'll also use other cheeses eg. mozzarella, parmesan, red leicester, or whatever else I have to hand. Sometimes a mix of cheeses is nice or other flavourings such as crushed garlic or herbs. Apart from the roux, I don't use fixed quantities....just use enough milk until the consistency is right, and enough cheese until it tastes sufficiently cheesy.

I do the same as MrsDangermouse though I throw odds and ends of cheeses in a bag in the freezer until we have enough cheese to make a "surprise" mac-n-cheese. Sometimes it's just good, sometimes great, sometimes exceptional, but it's always creamy.

I throw everything except the pasta into a double boiler, so that there is no sticking, scorching or burning. I boil the pasta until it is eldentee, the sauce is hot & creamy, then I stir everything together, put it it in a prepared pan or dish & bake it until the top is golden brown. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom