How to make crispy sweet potato fries

MrMajeika

Local time
2:40 PM
I am going to make sweet potato fries/wedges. I always do them in the oven but often they don't crisp up and just end up soggy. I have read various tips such as to blanch them first or add cornflour. Any tips to get them crispy in the oven. Don't want to fry

I am going to make sweet potato fries/wedges. I always do them in the oven but often they don't crisp up and just end up soggy. I have read various tips such as to blanch them first or add cornflour. Any tips to get them crispy in the oven. Don't want to fry

I havnt actually made the thin chips/ crisps like you get flavoured in packets. YouTube would be my first try, although I watched a tv show the other night and they used a mandolin to slice the potatoes. I asked the wife to get me one next Father's Day?? Lol.

Russ

Deep frying, or if you're fat phobic an air fryer works pretty well. Never found a way of getting them crispy in an oven without loads of faff - par boil, blast chill, drench in seasoned flour, into a baking tray with lots of oil, very hot fan oven, turn frequently. May as well go straight for the deep fryer.

Deep frying, or if you're fat phobic an air fryer works pretty well. Never found a way of getting them crispy in an oven without loads of faff - par boil, blast chill, drench in seasoned flour, into a baking tray with lots of oil, very hot fan oven, turn frequently. May as well go straight for the deep fryer.

I think you are right. I've never succeeded in getting them crispy in an oven either. But I'm not keen on sweet potatoes so don't often use them. Maybe medtran49 would know of a method?

I've never made them (don't like them, either), but when I want crispy oven potatoes, I preheat the oven to 425F, and I put a couple of tablespoons of oil on my baking sheet and toss that in there to get and hot as well.

Then I season and toss the potatoes in a bit more oil, and once the oven's up to temp, I scatter the potatoes over the sheet pan with the hot oil and away we go.

I found this:

Truly CRISPY Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries | Don't Go Bacon My Heart

In a nutshell:
  1. Cut them evenly
  2. Soak them in cold water for 45 mins to release starch
  3. Dry them thoroughly
  4. Place in a bag and add some cornflour. Shake to coat them.
  5. Add any other dry seasonings such as paprika and shake again. Do not add salt. Add oil and shake again.
  6. Space out evenly on an oven tray. Bake at 220 C for 15 mins then turn them. Bake a further 15 mins.
  7. Turn off the oven, open oven door slightly and leave for 15 mins until they begin to crisp.
I can't vouch that this works but I suppose its worth a try. The photos show rather thin chips not wedges.

I love sweet potatoes, I have them at least 3 times a week, I did chips last night.

I cook my chips on a net, they are not crispy like restaurants but there not soggy, I use crisp'n dry oil, pepper, mix herbs, cut them all the same size, I cook on 220 & don't time them, just check often.

I do prefer roast sweet potatoes, I cut them up into cubes, coat in same oil/herbs & garlic & roast in a normal tin until really crispy.

Top pic are the ones I cooked last night.

left hand mat was on top shelf & I took it out 5mins before the right net which was on middle shelf.

I should of left the right hand net in even longer than I did, but I was rushing to get done.
You can see left ones are more done.

Other 2 pics are from time before when Iv made crispy roast sweet potatoes.

I guess chips would be really crispy if you coated chips & then cooked on net.
A chef told me he used like a flour batter to coat his but i love plain food & can't add cornflour/flour/etc

Alot soak them first for hour in cold water before cooking.
I definitely think my net helps as I don't soak or coat & there not soggy x

Last edited by a moderator:
I just caught the end of a show where the chef made sweet potato fries. They were like steak fries. Looked like they might have been parcooked (I'd steam till about half done), cooled, then she tossed them in flour, egg wash and then cornmeal, looked like coarse. She mentioned she did it that way since they have a tendency to burn because of the sugars in the sweet potato itself. I didn't see how she treated them before breading, but they were definitely partially cooked. She pan fried them, not deep.

Back
Top Bottom